How "in charge" are you as the Director?

I usually write the script I will shoot, then at the shoot I am open to suggestions from the actors and crew. Sometimes I even ask them "Does this make sense to you?", "Is that funny?", "Do you think that's the best way to go?"

Most of the time, people are glad to help me out and help me shape my ideas, but on my last shoot one of my actors kept telling me "You're the director. You should figure it out for yourself!"

I can usually be more creative when I'm throwing ideas around with another person. Can this come off as a sign of weakness as a director? After all, I am the person who decides which ideas I actually like. I always give credit where credit's due. The only difference is that I actually ask other peoples' opinions.

Does this sound like you? Someone you worked for? Is this good? Bad?

I'm actually doing it now!

I am no director but I brainstrom with our director at all times. Now, we are a very close knit crew of 4 who have always worked like this so it is not out of the ordinary for us and it almost always yields a better final product.

We usually shy away from going to the actors for feedback, I think at times it can come across as if you are not completely prepared. Some actors would not mind, but others look to the director and his crew and expect them to have it all together.

But I would always bounce ideas off your crew, at least those who's opinion you trust.

I like to be able to trust my crew with quality. If you have a good cameraman, editor, DoP, then I think a simple explaination of what you want the scene to be, there should be no problem. If you can all get on the same page, creatively, then the work will flow.
I'm going to be directing an upcoming project, and I've decided to take segements of the actors and go over the scenes with them, and get thier feedback to re-write. I think it's important to keep a script I write vague enough for the actors to bring thier own take to the characters, and then go back and re-write a shooting version.
Also, a lot of the people I work with have directing experience, so it's a lot easier to communicate, because they already understand how to get behind a helm.
I'd try and work things out in prep though- rehearse and discuss with the cast and crew beforehand, so when you're on set you can control the focus yourself.
In the end, you make the final calls, but making th majority of the calls before shooting, in prep, will make it easier.

In the world of small projects, a producer/director hybrid seems to be the most common thing. It seems more like you need a producer to your director to solve problems, including creative ones.

The reason I trust my actors' opinions is that I try to work with the cream of the crop so to speak. The people I work with are creative and they all have a great sense of humor and comic timing. Since they are performers who go through life (not just acting for shows and theater) making people laugh, I figure they may have some great ideas that I'll never hear unless I ask. I usually don't ask their opinin on my framing, camera work, lighting, etc., but they know what makes people laugh and be interested in a show. That's just how I think. Plus, sometimes I need someone to tell me that a joke doesn't work or that they thought of something while I was describing my ideas.

I'm the same way, although I already know what I want before I go in. If something else great comes up we go with it, usually in addition to what I wanted then I make the decision later.

WideShot said:
I'm the same way, although I already know what I want before I go in. If something else great comes up we go with it, usually in addition to what I wanted then I make the decision later.
That's exactly what I do. If I have written a scene and someone thinks they have a good idea that's slightly different, we shoot both. That way no one will wonder what could've been. We can tell more easily which joke/sequence/whatever works better while editing.

I ask for input but it's never because I'm not in charge or because I'm not prepared. I have a vision for how I want the scene to go but there is usually flexibility there and I want my actors to feel like they "own" the character. A lot times, I find that the actors are TOO faithful to the words on the page and I encourage them to own the dialogue, to make it natural.

Most of the time, people are glad to help me out and help me shape my ideas, but on my last shoot one of my actors kept telling me "You're the director. You should figure it out for yourself!"

All directors have their own style and approach to the job. The same is true of actors. If you're lucky you get actors who give their best work with your particular approach, this time you got someone who didn't like your way of working. It happens.

This gives you two choices, either adapt your working style when you're working with that particular actor and find out what they need from you to give their best work or don't work with that actor again.

My take on directing is that it's about providing the best possible environment for the actors to work. For me that is 90% of the job. When an actor is making statements like "You're the director. You should figure it out for yourself." Chances are that you've got an actor who needs very clear direction, an actor that needs to feel that the director is knows what they want. It can be scary for that kind of actor to be handed creative responsibility for the piece, especially for an actor that takes pride in ability to take whatever shape the director wants, that is, an actor whose strengths as a performer lie not in thier ability to create, but in thier ability to mold themselves into any role.

As usual I agree with nearly everything Clive says. In addition I'll say that your film is 100% poised for doom or success in the casting and crew hiring. I think as director you should always attempt to hire people more experienced than you by 2-10 years. You want them to teach you instead of the other way around, and you don't want to constantly feel that you could be doing a better job in their role.

Last edited:
As the director, I think the key is to have a solution in place beforehand, known going into a scene what you need and have a solid plan to get. Nothing is worse than an unprepared director. But be open to suggestions and improv, take advatage of what is present in either ideas, location or "happy accidents."

And some directors liek the visuals, some like to work story and character with actors but all have to have a combination of skills. Giving the actors what they need to do their job is vital so if someone needs more direction, give it and if someone want to give input, listen. But the director has to make the final decision, the theory is that they should have the most cohesive vision of the final, total story so they know how best to fit all the parts, all the scenes.

I shot my first feature film this year. Shooting ended on schedule, August 3rd at 7am. Ok, so it was about 2 hours over schedule, sue me. ;)

Now, I'd never shot a film in my life, and here I was shooting a feature length that I'd also written (several years earlier).

Before I began the production, I knew the actors and crew I had taken on were already experienced in thier fields, so I made no secret about the fact it was indeed my first film. I had shot several tiny shorts and stop-anis prior, but nothing even worth showing, as everytihng was basically "experimental".

I asked the cast (specifically), to "find the characters in themselves" - understand their roles, and make them their own. It was a gamble, as I knew precisely what I wanted for each and every role, however, knowing their experience I figured it was a great way to see their talents, as well as a great way for me to pin-point what WOULD and WOULDN'T work in terms of the roles. It worked out very well.

However :

Something I noticed mid-way through production was that some (not all) actors would develop a bit of a "grudge" when I put my Director's Foot down. Problems arose from this because they (the actors) were already aware that I'd never done this before, so it made things even more difficult when proper direction was needed. Arguments would ensure, and tension would rise - not a good thing to have on any film set.

I think my mistake was in letting them know exactly where I stood, without keeping them a bit outside the loop in terms of my skills/abilities.

But to sum it up, I still think allowing the actors to give their 2 cents worth on a creative level is a good thing, so long as you know when, and how hard to put your foot down.

Logan L said one of his actors said, "You're the director. You should figure it out for yourself!"

Eeesh! I heard this very statement from a couple of the actors, but their tone just left the worst taste in my mouth. Arrogant, some can be.

Giving actors SOME level of suggestion and input isn't a bad thing, but as a Director we certainly have to know what our own limits are.

If that makes any sense.

Back