How feasible is it to use a prime lens for film?

Ok,

Forgive my newb question. I'm an audio guy. I promise I searched for a bit for a previous thread that was similar, but it was to no avail.

I'm thinking of picking up a Super Takumar and a Helios for still photography.

However, is it simple to make these lenses work for filming on a T3i?

Would I have to buy a super-complicated shock-mount or steadicam rig?

Thanks in advance.

http://www.vimeo.com/8245714

Turn down the volume, please. Music is terrible, but I needed to get up a sample for someone a while back because they were interested in handheld work + DSLRs.

Camera: 7D (Similar sensor size to T3i)
Lenses: Zeiss ZF's and Zeiss Contax Yashicas
Focal Lengths: Zeiss ZE 85/1.4 and then a Zeiss CY 180/2.8

Both handheld. Pulling focus with my fingertips, just grabbing little segments in between setups. No eyepiece, loupe, external LCD, etc. I hate those things, actually.

The rig weighed 14lbs, a cake walk compared to what I now shoot with. Haha.

Handheld needs weight, practice, etc.

Don't be afraid to learn to do it. =] And, it makes you a wee-bit stronger. I carry around a 30ish LB camera now and handheld all day.

Oh, and I use both Zooms and Primes: my favorite lens sets are Contax Zeiss Yashicas and Cooke S4's. My Favorite zoom right now is a Cooke T3.1 18-100, which I use to shoot just about everything when the Cooke's aren't an option.

Shoot bro, thats some SMOOTH handheld and considering its a 180mm on a 1.6 crop its freaking FANTASTIC. Yup, its all about the pounds.. bulk that camera up!

LOL woops!

Went in one ear and out the other. Thanks for the attempted heads-up.

Would you say the regular Tak is valuable in any way?

I think the regular Takumar is very valuable. The Multi-Coat was more infamous for flare, but honestly you can't find SMCs in wider angles, the sets tend to work with each other regardless.

No one will notice, my friend. What they will see, though, is the low contrast and very "vintage" feel. Just make sure you white balance the nasty yellow cast out before shooting. Depending on your DSLR (if it's the T3i, you need to result to your grid and dial it in manually) it can be a pain!

Shoot it up!

Shoot bro, thats some SMOOTH handheld and considering its a 180mm on a 1.6 crop its freaking FANTASTIC. Yup, its all about the pounds.. bulk that camera up!

Haha. Thanks, Wheat. Yeah, definitely about the weight! Ergonomically correct weight is great, as well. If you can't bulk up, though, the aforementioned neck strap method works great up to about 35mm , for me anyway.

Lens arrived today.

Took some test shots.

It's frickin' unreal the distorted bokeh but it looks so awesome and artsy. I love it. I'm keeping it.

There is a big black speck right in the middle of the lens but it doesn't show up in the pictures. I'm assuming that's OK because it doesn't show up in the pictures? lol.

Anyway, I love it. Going to take some awesome portraits with it later today.

Also,

I just bought an OLYMPUS OM ZUIKO 50 MM F 1.8 LENS,

Ever used one of those or heard of it, Kholi?

Lens arrived today.

Took some test shots.

It's frickin' unreal the distorted bokeh but it looks so awesome and artsy. I love it. I'm keeping it.

There is a big black speck right in the middle of the lens but it doesn't show up in the pictures. I'm assuming that's OK because it doesn't show up in the pictures? lol.

Anyway, I love it. Going to take some awesome portraits with it later today.

Also,

I just bought an OLYMPUS OM ZUIKO 50 MM F 1.8 LENS,

Ever used one of those or heard of it, Kholi?

Oly Z's are pretty decent lenses, they add their own quality to video with DSLRs. If I remember properly, you'll find them a bit "cold" in color cast in comparison to the M42 glass. In fact, there's a 14-35/2.0 that's ridiculously nice, but it's 4/3 mount so it won't be of much use to you. Try out the 50 and post up some footage here! I'd love to see what the quality is like.

If you check this short film out that I shot about a year ago, you can see the 50/1.4 SMC Takumar + 7D combo in use next to a RED (original sensor) + Old Anamorphic Lomos at the end. It'll also give you an idea of how the two formats cut together, at least for small display: http://vimeo.com/13422656

I'm a major proponent of grabbing old glass and trying things out. Some of my favorite lenses are Vivitar zooms, especially the SLOOOWWW ones that nobody wants to use.

If it has a yellow caste, if you expose it to sunlight for a few hours that should clear it up. Kholi i haven't really noticed the contrast to be low, but the again, you saw my scientific lens test with the banana.

Also, with the Oly Z's, there are adapters, smart adapters no less so the AF will work. I use the Oly 14-54mm 2.8 w/adapter. It's my walkabout lens.

Back