How far is it worth driving for auditions, when...?

Just let the camera roll without editing the footage. Just title it so they know who it's from and what you are auditioning for.

Try googling audition tapes to find samples on YouTube to see some examples. Don't tamper with the actual audition. You can add in takes, if you label them as takes.

Okay thanks. A lot of the audition tapes online have someone speaking to the actor though. Would it be okay if I said my lines with no one to to talk to and just pretend, if I cannot find someone else available to do it in time, before the deadline?

No, she can, it's just the sound. If I do it all in one take, I cannot have the mic on both of us. So I will keep it on me then, but she may come off as off-axis as a result. I had a look at some auditions on youtube, but some of them are edited, which is why I asked. But I won't do that, and do it one take, if that's best.

Last edited:
She does not need to be mic'd.

I've shot audition videos for several friends: I hold the camera (just a flip cam or iPhone) and voice the other character. Then they upload it to youtube or vimeo, password protected, and send the link.

It's simple - don't over-think it.

Okay thanks. I taped the takes. Modern Day Myth was saying I can add additional takes as long as I label them. I might. Is three takes okay, or can more make a better impression possibly.

No, she can, it's just the sound. If I do it all in one take, I cannot have the mic on both of us. So I will keep it on me then, but she may come off as off-axis as a result. I had a look at some auditions on youtube, but some of them are edited, which is why I asked. But I won't do that, and do it one take, if that's best.

Yes it's best, one take. Otherwise it will raise questions about your acting ability.. can this dude really do it in one take? Am i going to have to start over from scratch every time he needs to say a line ??

The film maker wants to see what you are like with unedited footage. THAT is what he will be working with after production wraps.

Okay thanks. But what I meant was, how many takes should I send them? Because I did all the lines in a few takes, without having to restart, but four takes are the best, and I cannot decide which one is the best of all. Should I send all four I mean, if I am not sure which is the best.

Okay thanks. But what I meant was, how many takes should I send them? Because I did all the lines in a few takes, without having to restart, but four takes are the best, and I cannot decide which one is the best of all. Should I send all four I mean, if I am not sure which is the best.

Unless you're doing a totally different subtext from one take to the next, I would not send multiple takes.

You dont want the other actor to be seen. You want their audio lower.

I drove (and my dad) 5.5 hrs for a ONE word audition. Top that!!! The word was "what." I was in the CD's office maybe 30 seconds probably 20. They said I said the word wrong. It was my first SAG audition. I thought I was doomed as he is the top CD in the area. The good news I was so bad he forgot about me. The next four auditions I went to final callbacks. he then realized all my driving time I put in to make it and I had earned first round of tape auditions from him. Last year he couldnt get a hold of my agent on a Sunday so he called me directly and said Jared Hess (Napoleon Dynamite) cast me in two scenes opposite Sam Rockwell and I need to be on set at 6:30 in the morning. This CD showed jared an audition I had done the week before. Sam Rockwell is a genius. The movie got purchased by Lionsgate at Sundance. I was going to go but I was working on my own movie. I guess I'll find out if I made the film when it comes to theaters.

I would and did drive 5 plus hours for auditions for non paying jobs. I needed a reel. I needed practice auditioning.

You have to put the time in.
I shoot my auditions with a flip too. I used to take a million takes and send the best. Now I do two because I realized I either went with my first or second choice.

Back