• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How do you think they will react?

I have written 10 screenplays so far and I was thinking to take them to a local film school, but I'm worried as to how would teachers there react...:( I mean, I'm not a student of theirs and never had anything to do with them. Do you think they'll agree to try to help me improve them? Will they even take a look at them? Or will they simply tell me to get lost? Thank you for taking your time to read and answer this!:)

I have written 10 screenplays so far and I was thinking to take them to a local film school, but I'm worried as to how would teachers there react...:( I mean, I'm not a student of theirs and never had anything to do with them. Do you think they'll agree to try to help me improve them? Will they even take a look at them? Or will they simply tell me to get lost? Thank you for taking your time to read and answer this!:)
Teachers there are paid to teach the students there. Not to help a
non-student improve their screenplays.

Are you hoping that because they are teachers they will help you
improve your screenplays for free?

Spec screenplays...
Excellent.
Then you know just what a tough road lies ahead, or at least suspect it.

Is the target audience clearly serviced in these screenplays?
Do you have an identified group of producers that should be interested in your spec screenplays?
And they have the financing to produce them? You've not written $40M screenplays for $4M producers, right?

i don't think they'll have the time to help a stranger.
Ben's a friend to most everyone.
stack-us-100-dollar-bills-6579907.jpg

P A I D script consultant.

I personally think if you ask a teacher to review 10 scripts without paying them decently for the task, they'll tell you to take a hike... probably with slightly more colorful language.

You may be able to get away with a single for cheap if they pity you or want to be helpful.

Who knows, the teacher may put you in touch with one of the students. They made be willing to hack at your script.

Maybe not for free, if need be, but how do you think they'll react?

Teachers are paid to teach the students. Not to help a
non-student improve their screenplays. You would be
asking them to help you on their own time. If you are
offering them a job - paying them to help you improve
your screenplays - on their non-work hours some may
take the job.

I think a teacher of screenwriting would react positively
if offered a job (with pay) to help you improve your screenplays.
I think a teacher of screenwriting at a film school who is
being paid to teach students would not be willing to help
a non-student for free.

How much are you willing to pay?

Bare in mind, it depends on the tutors. Some will be happy to help (but not in depth) or give you a few pointers because they love their craft. Just don't expect a great amount of professional help unless you're paying for their time. Of course, you could always run it past a few good students for input too. Students have the benefit of fresh knowledge in their heads and a fair bit of passion still eating away at them (or are over-zealous).

Back