How do you go about finding a crew?

i know some of you probably use close friends and what not but, i am not exactly in a thriving area full of film makers or with people as crazy i am about making films, short films, music vids, etc..
Cut to the chase here. I just need to find people who can help me with upcoming projects. Is there any specific way YOU guys do it? or what?

I seek wisdom... :bow:

i know some of you probably use close friends and what not but, i am not exactly in a thriving area full of film makers or with people as crazy i am about making films, short films, music vids, etc..
Cut to the chase here. I just need to find people who can help me with upcoming projects. Is there any specific way YOU guys do it? or what?

I seek wisdom... :bow:

We sort of need to know how much money you have and how much talent you have. If you just want to learn, be a PA on someone else's project. If you have money, Craigslist is good.

Good luck.

First is to accept that most jobs in filmmaking are more administrative and general labor (moving things, connecting things).

Second is to accept that those jobs can be taught.

Third is to look around in the line at the supermarket and say hello to everyone and talk about the films you're making... some people will exhibit more interest than others, these people have some desire to be taught those jobs... carry on, and good luck. (this is how I built up my crew)

Community theatre and college theatre programs are good sources of people too.

I'm at university and you'd be amazed how many people are interested in being involved in a short film. Actors want stuff for their reel, people are happy to work for credits. You can get plenty of people if you email around colleges- drama and theatre students also have decent knowledge of lighting and makeup, if there's a campus TV group they will have audio knowledge and potentially lighting. I'm not from the US, so my geography could be embarrassing here, but if you're in LA surely there are gonna be people keen to get involved?

Any chance you could travel and do the production in a larger metroplex?

But yeah, friends and craigslist are usually the way to go. Most of the crew I work with met through a ministry we all volunteered at doing video stuff years and years ago. If there's something being done with video where people need help already going on, volunteer there and make your friends.

(snip) I'm not from the US, so my geography could be embarrassing here, but if you're in LA surely there are gonna be people keen to get involved?

He's in "the other LA", Louisiana.

I don't know about your transportation situation, but you could try LSU, ULL, hit up the Baton Rouge or Houston craigslists, or check studio productions in Houston and Baton Rouge. I know it's a bit of a drive, but it might be worth it. Best of luck.

Back