How do you go about filming a highly provocative scene?

Like a racist scene, sex scene, nude scene, torture-sexual scene, torture scene, etc. I mean how exactly do you even approach someone and ask them to do a scene like that without starting any drama? Is it easy with most actors/actresses?

Like telling a black actor "Okay, here's the part where you're called a nigger and you have to hop up and run like a monkey because your white master said so"

*You get sucker punched

I've seen a lot of movies that had highly provocative scenes in them. Like scenes from human centipede, Martyrs, etc.

How does the director convince his/her cast to do those types of scenes?

@Beatlesfan yes, most actors/actresses never read the script, they're sold by the premise and happy that someone considers them for the job.

Last edited:
The actors are professionals, so they of all people understand that it's fiction, and scenes like that are necessary for building drama

Your actors should know that scenes like this are part of the gig before they even take it - So drama over it onset should be minimal. As Musson says, actors (well, good actors) understand that it's fiction and these are plot devices, nothing more. If you're filming a historical film deep rooted in the South, or even an urbanized Spike Lee-esque primarily African American film, then 'nigger' can't be a word that scares off the actors.

A lot of that stuff requires extra contractual agreement as well, like sexual scenes. So again, they should have had a very good idea of how this plays out before they come to film it.

Actually, the only issue I could foresee is an actor who blindly signs a contract or skims the script. I've always referred to Bob Dylan as a great example of this, the guy signed his first three major contracts without reading them, and lost millions of dollars in royalties because they were set up to screw him over.

Not to say you're trying to screw anyone, but he was so excited to get a contract, he didn't even read it, and he paid for it.

So, I suppose I could see an actor doing the same thing. In the heat of getting a role, they sign whatever is in front of them, soon realizing it involves a scene they are uncomfortable with or something. So, in this case, it would just make sense to explain the contract as well, since you don't want to screw them over. (Whereas Dylan's managers did want to.)

Tell them right away. When they're auditioning, they have to know what they're getting into. There should be no 'I don't want to do that' moments when filming. Make sure they're comfortable with whatever's being done and that there's no surprises on set. There's no special way of approaching them, you should just immediately tell them. If you're worried about them not wanting to do the scene, that's something that's probably not going to change later and you should find someone else. Once you've found the person that you want, you should discuss the scene and how it's going to be accomplished.

When you're on set and the time comes, just make the atmosphere as comfortable as possible. Be humorous and keep the atmosphere light, and if there's nudity, it's often best to have some of crew leave so that the actors are not subconscious. If there's language, that should have been worked out in auditions. If there's violence, make sure that the actors have no allergic reactions and they are completely comfortable with what's being shot.

... if there's nudity, it's often best to have some of crew leave so that the actors are not subconscious.

I think that you mean SELF-conscious.

sub·con·scious
adjective
1. existing or operating in the mind beneath or beyond consciousness: the subconscious self. Compare preconscious, unconscious.
2. imperfectly or not wholly conscious: subconscious motivations.
noun
3. the totality of mental processes of which the individual is not aware; unreportable mental activities.

self-con·scious
adjective
1. excessively aware of being observed by others.
2. conscious of oneself or one's own being.

Just have to learn to communicate well and clearly with them. It's essential to building trust. It also helps if they know you're thinking out for both their well being and the films well being and that there's a point to it all.

I try to make all of my actors as comfortable as possible. Depending on the scene, I might make it a closed set. I always do closed sets when I shoot sex/love scenes to make the actors involved more comfortable.

I also talk to the actors a lot in workshops before shooting. We discuss character motivation, ideas about why the event is occurring in the film, and make sure the actor understands why it is relevant to the plot. Communication is everything, so I always want to make sure the actors are on the same page as I am!

Back