How do TV shows make money?

I've been inside the sales office of a major TV network. They have a big staff of sales people in cubicals constantly on the phone with advertisers to sell air time for commercials. That's how they generate income.

Cable TV networks from time to time will buy independent movies as "filler movies" unlike the major TV networks. I know a few independent producers who sold to HBO.

Do you have to pay to get your show on air?

You "can" buy airtime, which is what INFORMECIALS do. On Cable and local broadcast, you can sometimes buy 30 minute or 60 minute blocks of time and put a show on TV, as long as it still follows FCC laws on restrictions of content.

Most TV series however are purchased or produced by the channels.

Does the channel station automatically put in the commercials for you?

They are buying the right to air the show for a limited time period and sell the commercials for that, although a lot of national shows come with pre-sold money from an "anchor" sponsor, like car companies that are advertising nationally, then several "spots" are sold for local markets.

About how much profit does the channel station get and how much profit does the TV show get?

Define "profit".

A 30 minute show is usually 23 minutes of content so you have 7 minutes of commercial time = 14 of the :30 second commercial slots. They sell those for as much as they can, and hopefully make more than 2 times what they paid to broadcast the show.

Shows with higher ratings, meaning more people watching = ad time is worth more $$$ to the advertisers because they will reach more eyeballs.

Also there is PAY CABLE, like HBO and SHOWTIME with no ads because people pay a subscription fee to the cable company each month that pays for their original programming.

This might be easier if you stated what it is specifically you want to do. A sitcom? A reality show? A drama? Who is your intended channel?

and CF's sketch is freakin' brilliant.

This might be easier if you stated what it is specifically you want to do. A sitcom? A reality show? A drama? Who is your intended channel?

It's going to be a comedy sitcom. (ex. Two and a half men, How i met your mother, Friends, King of Queens,etc.)

Can you answer this ....
which is a smarter idea? Making a few scripts (episodes) and show it to a channel station or making a few scripts with the actual video of the episode to the channel station?

Also, what is a reasonable amount of scripts (episodes) needed to start off a comedy sitcom series?

It's going to be a comedy sitcom. (ex. Two and a half men, How i met your mother, Friends, King of Queens,etc.)

Can you answer this ....
which is a smarter idea? Making a few scripts (episodes) and show it to a channel station or making a few scripts with the actual video of the episode to the channel station?

Also, what is a reasonable amount of scripts (episodes) needed to start off a comedy sitcom series?

There are two main ways to approach this. You can go to various networks and channels via someone or a production company that can get a meeting with the development personnel and pitch them your idea. be prepared to have doors slammed in your face as even the creators of hit shows (like Friends, How I Met Your Mother, etc.) have to get in line to talk to networks about pitching new show ideas.... and they have a track record of hit shows.

Or you can create a pilot episode yourself, get it viewed a lot on sites like YouTube and hope the channels come to you. If you don't have several million views of the clips online, it will be unlikely they will want to produce a whole show based on something that people don't watch.

Most studios do NOT accept unsolicited material, IE scripts or show ideas. You will need an entertainment attorney or an accredited agent or an established production company who works with those networks.

There is a cable channel in our area called MYTV New England where you get the advertisers for your show. They have things like that on the radio too. Usually they are on obscure channels for the cable shows.

Can you answer this ....

I wouldn't spend a minute on actually producing an episode.
Only if you wanted to do a no budget test on youtube to gauge mob reaction.
Even still... probably not.

Begin by writing several episodes in proper TV screenplay format.
http://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en&t...=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=4ec38b6bfdcbd1ab

Next, pay for "coverage"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Script_coverage

Rewrite & get coverage again.

Then find a script agent.
http://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en&t...=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=4ec38b6bfdcbd1ab

An agent will want to see the coverage notes then let you know if you even have a product to market, if so, they will solicit for any TV studio or broadcaster willing to pick up the program.

GL

I've been in the business for a while and I've never heard
of an agent who wants read paid "coverage". In my experience
all the companies offing "coverage" for money are not worth
the money.

What agents do you have experience with who want to see
the notes from a person who charges to cover a script?

Back