• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How do I write a sentence of dialogue in this context?

Let's say you have a scene where you want someone to say half a sentence, but not finish, cause the character he is speaking too, is suppose to figure out what the end of the sentence will be, or what the the character is thinking. Like if someone says "But, of course..." and then doesn't finish it but gives facial expression that indicates, that the but of course, will result in something that the opposite character, and the audience is suppose to figure out from the speaker's mannerisms and emotion.

Do I just describe in the action, that the character makes an emotional gesture that implies the specifics of what the rest of the sentence is? Or how is the reader suppose to get the answer, since they cannot see the character's emotions. On the other hand I don't want to write the dialogue so it spells out too much for the audience either. So how do you write emotional gestures that finish the ends of sentences that the reader is suppose to understand?

Thanks.

And you are going to drive all of your actors ape-sh!t crazy with that kind of micro-managing. :yes:

How you do it is, as director, establish during rehearsals that most every shot's going to take three or four takes.
The first two or three will be as you, the director, wants it.
The last or next couple can be how the actors want to do it.
Everybody gets what they want. Everyone gets a little control woody. :D

You may find out that your actors have some pretty good ideas.
Two, three, five heads are better than one.

Then, back at the editing suite, you can put in the film whateverTH you want.

Oh ya, on set I can do that. I just meant for when people first read the script, it may be difficult to tell what the characters are thinking, and I am trying to write it so that it makes sense without dialogue to explain it. But I will show it to people when I am finished and see if it makes sense.

JoeJohn123,

Hard time have me (with face funny like a tree) to what you write understand. Many of times. I find you read hard what you wrote. It sense makes no. Like try to for me to reading washcloth.

Do you, (when for a producer submit) have your formatting script like here the same?

-Birdman

to bird man quote,

I just wanted him to know that , just being perfect in English and format can't create interest in script readers.

ONE MORE SCRIPT-that's what they say.

Maximum time given to take a look at script is (maximum)15 pages approx.Not more than that.
If it just about format and english, they won't even poop on your script.
reason , it might malign their poop !!!

You know how East indian origin super man flies,
He farts , and he moves , keeping pipe aligned perfectly to ass helping him takeoff and fly.
Don't you wanna know about the history and origin of FARTMAN !!

Back