• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How do I insert my video into a video effect?

Having edited for years using Adobe Premiere. I've run into a slight problem with my latest short film. How do I insert a live piece of video into another piece of video? We've seen it countless times when you see it in a film, TV show appearing on a TV. just wondered which video effect would do that.

Would appreciate any advice on this. I'm using Adobe Premiere CS5.

Are you actually doing a live broadcast? Or just need a picture-in-picture effect?

The simplest PiP method is to place the "smaller" video on Layer 2, and just rescale & reposition it.

I dunno anything about actual live feeds, though.

Haha For live broadcast either you do it manually with a preview effect on the switcher board using the joystick and resize feature, or if you're using any Newtek TriCaster products, reverse on the transition box, and pull the phys bar half way.

Hi Guyz,

Thank you for your quick replies! No its not a live feed as I've shot most of my film. I just want a scene to appear in a TV as if by magic. I've already shot the scene where the actor looks at the TV.

Funny I was reading late last night about picture-in-picture effect. I've give it a go and see how I get on.

I just want a scene to appear in a TV as if by magic

Oh! Well, there's a few ways to do that.

Easiest way... pre-record the "regular" footage transitioning into the new footage, and burn it to a DVD. Just play the DVD into the TV and that's it.

Unless you've already shot the TV room scene... in which case, you'll need to do some masking. It's not really that difficult. This is where you'd essentially cut a hole in the television screen (which is on Layer 2) revealing whatever you've placed underneath on Layer 1.

Hope that helps. The more details you give, the better. :)

As Zensteve mentions, you put a resized layer over another layer.

However, for a proper TV effect, you will also probably need to use a matte and some corner distortion and/or (simulated) 3D rotation in order for the image to fit the TV screen correctly, especially necessary if you shot the set at a slight angle. I also recommend giving the video a filter or filters to make it look interlaced, and possibly add a few video artifacts just to degrade the image further.

If it's supposed to be an old analog TV set, you'll want to degrade the image even more, and your matte will require rounded corners.

If you want to see how I did an analog TV, check out my video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mH_lLWIWlg0

The TV shot is about 2 minutes in. All done on FCP.

Back