• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How do I get this shot from Schindler's List?

I couldn't find the clip online anywhere to show. In the movie, right near the end, Schindler is driving away, from all the Jews he saved. The camera is pointing at him through his side car window as he is driving. You can see the reflection of all the Jews, in the window, watching him as he drives past all of them.

Now how do you point a camera through a window, and show the person inside, while at the same time, showing the reflection of people on the outside, without showing the reflection of the camera or the operator? If that makese sense.

Thanks.

I don't know which shot you're referring to, but being at a slight angle, doesn't have to be far at all, can get the camera out of the reflection. In the event that you absolutely would see the camera - shooting with the window rolled down and adding it back in post is a common solution.

There is a much more impressive shot in "2 guns" where mark whalberg is staking out a place in his car.

We see mark in real time for about 10 seconds.
In the window reflection we see a time lapse go from night time to day time.

Okay thanks. I watched the shot a few more times, and I think I figured it out. The camera is pretty close on Liam Neeson's face, which is what I want. I think the problem is, is that I have been trying it with a 50mm lens, which you have to put too close to the car window, to get a close up, that a close.

Where as if I got a longer lens, the reflection of the camera will be easier to hide, right? Or would you still see it further away?

Back