How do I get an actor to come back?

I was almost done my first short film, but the last three minutes couldn't get shot right. The DP said that her eyes were getting blurry and couldn't keep it in focus. Since I felt I could have done the last three minutes in half an hour, I went for it, just to get it done. I spent two months looking for a replacement actor, but now that replacement doesn't look like he'll be coming back to finish!

I have shot the the three minutes, but it's out of focus, some of the shots, and is too dark. I misjudged how dark the section of the scene, was, cause of the camera's view screen being brighter. I couldn't do all the shots, as I was also acting in it, and doing as much sound as I can. So I guess it was best to just call it a day, since my DP's eyes were screwy after working hard.

But if the actor doesn't come back, I don't have a finished scene, and the short cannot be finished. I don't know what to do. It would probably take another long while to find another replacement and reshoot the whole scene. Or is there someway, I can reshoot the last part, and double for the main actor, superimposing his face, onto mine in the shots that were blurry? I can reshoot wearing similar clothes, with his face on me maybe? Sounds bad, but I don't know what else to do. I still have some good close up's of him that should work as coverage. But I would have to push his face further away in the image, and superimpose it, to replace the out of focus shots.

Or I could just find another guy I guess. But one of my other actor's will not be available, in two weeks most likely, and I have to get it done by then. What's the best place to find a replacement within that time? I tried the University, and Craiglists, Kijiji, several times, before, but it still took two months. What do you do when you need a replacement right now? Or better yet, how do I convince him to come back, and give just as good of a performance?

Last edited:
How much is it worth to you I finish the project? If it's worth $100, offer it to the actor.

Otherwise, just edit what you have. I know we say it a lot, but your first short isn't going to be great, it's all learning. If its only 95% finished, chalk it up to learning, but finish out post production so you learn what's going on. After this project is as finished as can be, you upload it, let the world throw you some pointers and take all of this knew knowledge and tackle the next project (whih probably still won't be great, you'll be learning).

What do you do when you need a replacement right now?
A - Pay someone and reshoot NOW.
B - Move onto your next project while this one goes onto the back burner until LATER.

Or better yet, how do I convince him to come back, and give just as good of a performance?
Why isn't he coming back?

Never, ever work with that DP again!

--------------

Take your camera to that actor wherever he is (home, work or play), offer him $50 to shoot 10 minutes of extreme close ups of his face in various expressions, then go to your editing suite and figure out what pickup shots you'll need to shoot with a stand-in to complete the illusion.

Never, ever work with that DP again!

--------------

Take your camera to that actor wherever he is (home, work or play), offer him $50 to shoot 10 minutes of extreme close ups of his face in various expressions, then go to your editing suite and figure out what pickup shots you'll need to shoot with a stand-in to complete the illusion.

I could do that if that will work. I don't know if I can find another DP in time, but I'll see. He gets better shots, than I can most of the time. So I will just put his facial expressions, over the top of the stand in once it's all shot?

Use wide shots of the stand-in, looking away from the camera, then cut to the extreme close up, then cut to the stand in again, perhaps from behind. Just edit him in, no need to create effects.

Use the DP you have now to finish this project, but after you're done, shake hands and say goodbye.

Okay thanks. Since I am finishing up the scene at the same location, I have another question. I don't remember what ISO or aperture I shot at quite. I think the ISO was 800, and the aperture was at like 5.6 or something, depending on the lens zoom. Do I need to worry about getting that exactly right too, or can I just bring that down in post if need be. I had this problem with a previous scene, as one of the shots, looks brighter than the rest.

I don't remember what ISO or aperture I shot at quite. I think the ISO was 800, and the aperture was at like 5.6 or something, depending on the lens zoom. Do I need to worry about getting that exactly right too, or can I just bring that down in post if need be. I had this problem with a previous scene, as one of the shots, looks brighter than the rest.

I know that this doesn't help you now but, you might want to put the camera settings on the slate board (clapper) in the future.

Dale Carnegie said that the key to getting people to do what you want is to make them want to do it, and you do that by figuring out what gives them a sense of importance and playing off of that. If your actor is narcissistic as many are, play to his ego and offer better billing and a call out. Perhaps a dedication could work. Also tell him that you know that his time is valuable and offer him what you can afford (even if it's only lunch at McDonald's). Good luck.

I don't remember what ISO or aperture I shot at quite. I think the ISO was 800, and the aperture was at like 5.6 or something, depending on the lens zoom. Do I need to worry about getting that exactly right too, or can I just bring that down in post if need be.

From now on:
5065046259_9ce1285dc7.jpg

Keep them in the car or in your camera bag.
Yeah, it's a PITA, but it's quick and easy in the field weeks or months later when pick ups and stuff like this come up.

Last edited:
If the actor is simply busy, then yes, some money may well do the trick.

But you may also want to find out if there's something about the shoot that is making him unwilling to commit another day of his time. Did he feel that it was not well organized? Not professional? Did someone in the cast or crew rub him the wrong way?

You can't necessarily fix those things now, but they can tell you a lot about planning future shoots.

I surprised the actor would not want to come back. He already acted once in it. You would think he would want to make sure his part was in the film.

Did you call the actor?

My guess if he does not want to come back he has a good reason. Ask him why.

Back