• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How do I format a phone conversation?

Hi all, I have (yet another) question about script writing. Here's what I have: a character, having a phone conversation. Now, how do I format it?

Like this

JANE
I love World of Warcraft!
(a beat)
Really? I cannot beat that boss!

OR

JANE

A beat.

JANE

What if I want to have the shot on Jane during Bob's response?

JANE

BOB
Me too! I just owned Master Snickerdoodle!

JANE

How do I indicate that he's not actually in the room? Is it off screen?

Also, if I have some conversations that go back and forth showing both characters talking and others that only show one character, is that ok? (I hope that makes sense)

Back and forth showing both characters would be something like this:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

INT. LIVINGROOM - DAY

Jane sits in her living room playing WOW on her bigscreen. She has the phone to her ear.

JANE

INTERCUT:

INT. OFFICE

Bob is playing WOW on his work computer while nervously keeping an eye out for his office manager while he talks to Jane on the telephone.

BOB
Me too! I just owned Master Snickerdoodle!

JANE

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want to show only one character and hear the other on the phone just indicate it as a Voice Over (V.O.).

Last edited:
Amazingly that was one of the most difficult things I had to remember when writing my first screenplay. I'm still not sure I got the damn thing right, and I'm not at all sure why it was such a pain in the ass in the first place. I felt like an idiot.

Im working on a short film right now. I wrote the script, Im directing & shooting the short so I have taken some shortcuts... I see that using the correct form will greatly aid the talent, especially if they know what a proper script is.

Im working on a short film right now. I wrote the script, Im directing & shooting the short so I have taken some shortcuts... I see that using the correct form will greatly aid the talent, especially if they know what a proper script is.

Stay tuned, Eugene. I'm taking yours as a rewriting exercise and tackling it this weekend.

I usually do it as follows.

INT. SOMEWHERE - DAY
Josh answers the phone.

JOSH
Wuddup

TRESSA (V.O.)
Hey homeslice, lemme borrow your legos please.

I doubt a reader would be confused as to what's going on. If for instance someone talking on the phone also does voice over narration I would do the following to make sure there is no confusion.

TRESSA (V.O.)
(phone)
Lemme borrow dem leggooooos

Not that I'm a produced writer or anything, but I'm under the impression that as long as the interaction is clearly laid out, the format isn't that much of an issue.

Back