• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How did they get sound in this tutorial video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWwlxaqvFtc

I was given that by another user in another thread on how to shoot a fight scene. In the tutorial, about 7:30 minutes in, they show a boom operator holding a mic during the fight scene. But how was he able to capture sound with the mic that far away, and not booming any of the two actors in particular? I was told to keep the mic no more than 18-24 inches away depending on which mic, so is he using a different one for both actors?

That's it. What they recorded is like a template, if you will to get the timing right in post when the sound effects were replaced. I did the same thing with the production I am editing. Even when weapons are thrown to the ground or strike each other, I mask over a whole new sound effect that sounds like metal instead of plastic. Even for the time when one actor accidently hit the other for real, I replaced the hit sound with something more fitting for what the characters and their weapons are made of.

When recording dialogue it's essential to get the mic as close to
the actors as is possible. That is to increase the signal to noise
ratio. What you see in this video is not the recordist trying to
get clear dialogue. The recordist is recording the "noise" - the
ambient sounds. Very few, if any, of these production sounds
will be used in the final product.

I've directed the second unit several times. Sometimes we do not
even have the budget for a recordist and boom op. The producer
knows not of the production audio will be used, so spares the expense.
But most of the time we record everything - for reference, as
everyone else has said.

Back