How did he do this?

can do w/ most any NLE put the base video on a track put the mosaic overlay on top... lower the opacity. play w/ saturation and contrast of both layers. change the mosaic overlay every several frames to change position and colors, add judder and a strobe effect maybe an earthquake effect.

Last edited:
can do w/ most any NLE put the base video on a track put the mosaic overlay on top... lower the opacity. play w/ saturation and contrast of both layers. change the mosaic overlay every several frames to change position and colors, add judder and a strobe effect maybe an earthquake effect.

I don't think that's how he did it. There's software that will create a photo mosaic. You put in the photo, plus a vast array of photos that will be used to create the mosaic, and the software does it's magic.

The way I see it, this guy would have to export every frame of his video (pre-mosaic) as a jpeg. Then, each and every jpeg goes into the mosaic software for mosaic conversion. And finally, each frame is placed into a new timeline, for animation.

Must've taken a long time. It's a pretty cool video.

It's not an "actual" photo mosaic though, where the small pictures are the right color and luminance for the pixels. It looks like the smaller pics were all a bit re-colored to make it work. I think it's a mix of Cracker's and Indie's technique.

The random colours in the blacks make me think it's a clever video effect, i can't imagine it would be too hard to write an algorithm that maps images to pixels using a grid. That guy does not look like the type to partake in any time consuming animation method, that time could be spent grooming his hair or chatting up teenagers on MSN.

Well, we're all just speculating, so I don't think we can really figure it out, without asking the guy. For what it's worth, though, I actually think the method I describe would be the least time-consuming. I just don't see how a video effect, from within a NLE software would be fast or easy.

On second thought, the method I describe, would not take that long.

1. Export jpegs. That takes about 30-seconds per jpeg. He clearly didn't do this at anything close to 24FPS, so overrall, we're not talking about that many jpegs.
2. Convert jpegs to mosaics. I've not used any mosaic software, but I can't imagine it is any more time-consuming than exporting a jpeg. Press a button. Done.
3. Place jpegs in timeline, in NLE software. If it were me, step 3 would take no longer than 10 minutes, for his entire video. Just put stuff in.

He got people to send him pictures of themselves holding up pre-specified colors of paper. It's rather ingenious, if you ask me.

Back