How come I can't double my shutter at 6fps?

My magic lantern will not let me shoot at a 180 degree shutter when I try to shoot at 6fps or any fps around that area. Is their anything I can do to fix that?

Last edited:
I wish more IT'ers would recognize this and stop feeding him. JUST. DON'T. RESPOND.

But he needs to be fed. Don't make him starve... :)
Seriously H44, show us more recent stuff you've made, that would be a nice way to show everyone that you're not just asking for the sake of asking, that would show that the IT member's answers are being taken into account and it's really worth it answering all your questions.

If you just ask ask and ask but show little work done people will eventually find your questions pointless.
Please "reward us" with some footage... :yes;)

Ya'll, don't distract him.

He said he's going somewhere on Saturday, so WE ALL KNOW he's going to be in a vehicle TWICE today, there and back home.

All he's gotta do is shoot three minutes of driving down the road, 30fps, auto shutter speed, auto white balance, level, focus set to infinite, suggest aperture locked at 8 to 11.

Then select 120 seconds, compress to 80 seconds, upload, post link.

We'll take it from there.

This is no big whup.

I'm doing one today myself and am posting the link here.

Cracker, Gebo, Salacious, Will, Dima, (Alcove and Chilipie too would be cherry!) (Jax, I see you looking :)) - Do you guys also wanna record three minutes driving down the road today, select 120seconds, compress to 80, upload and post in this thread today to demonstrate how simple these things are?

This is no big whup.

H, you're notorious for failing to do your own homework, so I did a smidge for you.
You use FCP, right?
http://archive.divergentshadows.com/dv/fcp/notes/speed.shtml

Make a constant speed change of 150% with "Frame Blending" checked.
You good with that?

Last edited:
Hey, I'm a sound guy, not a video guy; I don't even own a video camera.
Rats. :(

Apples to apples, I'm pretty sure you'd say I don't have any sound gear. :lol:

Looks good, it's convincing up to 300%. Which shutter speed did you use?

I'll try to do it if I find a bit of free time (yes I work on weekends too :( ).
Rez - 1920x1080
Frame Rate - 30
Focus - infinite
Shutter - Auto
Aperture - Auto
White Balance - Auto

Put the camera on the tripod in the passenger's seat, drove down and up the hill holding the center column with my right hand while steering with my left.

If I wanted to make this look extra good I'd be a passenger and hold the camera on my DIY square FigRig.

Also, I'd try to figure out a way to reduce the dashboard reflection into the windshield, probably a black/charcoal bath towel would do the trick.
FYI, I don't think my circular polariser did much to combat the reflective glare.

I'll guess that with the mid-thick overcast sky that the shutter speed probably clocked in between 1/200 and 400.

Likely it was auto adjusting all over the place.

Understand about the w/e work.
There's a lot of that going on. :)

Last edited:
In Final Cut, you could potentially use "Smooth Cam" as well to potentially make the footage all silky smooth as well... although the leaf flutter without the shakiness may break the illusion.

Well I don't need to put everything on auto. I want to shoot at 24fps, with the shutter at 1/50, the aperture ideally at f8, but I will go lower if it's too sunny out, and the ISO at 100.

I couldn't get my camera back since I lent it out, for the weekend, but here's some stuff I shot earlier this week.

Here's a driving shot, shot at 18fps, with the shutter at 1/37 around.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUy0WGljaIg

Here's another shot I did while I was testing out white balance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pw--t3yYqYQ

You crackheads didn't tell me the audio was missing! :lol: (Bastards! With friends like youuuu...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaP17ds2Fnc

Alright. Not that it's relevant to the test itself and probably just testament to Alcove's plight, but now there's some actual music to go with the drive!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUy0WGljaIg

Yeah. What Salacious said:
you have got to stabilize your camera somehow
I just reached over and held the tripod's center column with my right hand.

D'ju get your camera back today?
You didn't say nothing about that Friday, did you? :hmm:
Shoot three minutes?
Can you pick two minutes and compress to one minute twenty seconds?
Upload and link us?

Don't fiddle around with shutter speeds. Keep it on auto for now.
24fps is fine, 30fps would be better.

BTW, within a specific range, just "how" fast were you wanting to make the vehicle appear to be travelling?
90mph/kph?
100?
110?
120?

TY!

Sidenote:
When you know you will be speeding up footage in post, use a 0 degree shutter. (24 fps wih 1/24 sped up 200% 'makes' it look like it was shot at 12fps with 1/24.)

Speeding up in camera or in post reminds me of the old Batman series where the batmobile drive like crazy, the trees wave like crazy, but the flame in the nozzle still looks like a lame flame to keep the buffet warm :P
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uerDqAIjins
(at 9:20)

I'd say, before trying to speed up, try to get stable footage first :P
And indeed: read manuals!
RTFMBAOAF!
(Read The F Manual Before Asking On A Forum)

Sidenote:
When you know you will be speeding up footage in post, use a 0 degree shutter. (24 fps wih 1/24 sped up 200% 'makes' it look like it was shot at 12fps with 1/24.)
So, when I'm shooting @ 30fps, knowing I'm going to double the speed in post through compression, set the shutter speed @ 1/30, instead of the normally recommended 1/60.

Easy peazy.

Tests to follow!!!

H, D'ju get ur cam back yesterday?
Gettin' it back today, then?

So, when I'm shooting @ 30fps, knowing I'm going to double the speed in post through compression, set the shutter speed @ 1/30, instead of the normally recommended 1/60.

You're correct. Lowering the shutter speed will produce more blur, giving the impression of a fast moving scene.

Sidenote:

Okay thanks. I will get the camera back as soon as I can. So when you say a 0 zero degree shutter that means that the shutter speed is the same, as the framerate...

That should be a 360° shutter, not 0° - the number refers to the portion of the shutter that is open.

Back