How come I can't double my shutter at 6fps?

My magic lantern will not let me shoot at a 180 degree shutter when I try to shoot at 6fps or any fps around that area. Is their anything I can do to fix that?

Last edited:
My magic lantern will not let me shoot at a 180 degree shutter when I try to shoot at 6fps or any fps around that area. Is their anything I can do to fix that?

After 30 seconds on the Magic Lantern user guide, I found this:

Shutter range: displays the available shutter speed range with current settings. When you use FPS override, Canon menu will still display 1/30 … 1/4000, but the actual shutter speed will be different; read it from ML displays. You can alter shutter speed range by changing the ratio between the two timer values (decreasing timer B will result in faster shutter speeds available).

…and under notes and tips:

To get 180-degree shutter speed at very low FPS, simply discard half of the frames in post.

I'm just waiting to see what rayw has to say about this...

I love this show!
Child-watching-TV-006.jpg

That silly monkey is always getting into trouble, and the other monkeys always save him, but it doesn't matter because the silly monkey is just going to get into trouble again!
It's crazy. I love it.

:D

Last edited:
I wanted to shoot 6fps to make a car look like it's going faster. Here's the best I could do before the camera would stop recording after only about a second:

: http://youtu.be/ktAfZVaFzvA

But as you can see the shutter speed is too slow.

AH! That's easy, or should be, to do in post: http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=47475

IDK what NLE you're using, but in my cr@ppy little Adobe Premier Elements 10 NLE there's a time stretch or compress tool for slowing down or speeding up clips.
I suspect just about everyone else here is using something better and beefier than I am, so surely whatever NLE you're using to edit with has a similar tool.

The key is to not provide your computer with a FUBAR frame rate to compress.
It's a math thing.

Because you want the number of frames in the end clip to be a multiple of those provided you just gotta figure out A) how long is the final shot going to be, then B) how fast or slow do you want it to appear.

BUT DO A SIMPLE TEST, FOR THE LOVE OF FILMMAKING!

You want a two second clip? Fine.
@ 30 FPS that's 60 frames you'll need.

30 FPS
x 2 secs
= 60 frames

How fast do you want to speed up the clip?

Dropping every 14 frames will make the appearance be 15X.
Dropping every 9 frames will make the speed 10x.

So maybe you'll wanna drop every other frame?
Shoot 8 seconds, snip your clip to use to 4 seconds, compress to 2 seconds.

1 x 30
2 x 15
3 x 10
5 x 6
6 x 5
10 x 3
15 x 2
30 x 1

Provide divisible multiples and the NLE won't flip out and start trying to divide some retarded number like 129 or 5861 frames into some divisionals of 30 or 60.

BTW - this has NOTHING to do with shutter speed.
Speeding up and slowing down is all frame rates and multiples.

Now... to affect the images themselves THAT might be affected by shutter speed.
But for what you're doing (making a vehicle appear to be driving 110mph instead of 60) I don't think it'll matter much.

Oh! And to SLOW THINGS DOWN you shoot at a higher FPS, like >60.
To SPEED THINGS UP you shoot at a slower FPS, like <30.
Fewer frames to dump.

Last edited:
Okay thanks. I already did a test but my friends say it looks fake. Unfortunately I think I deleted the test to free up some hard drive space, but I can do another one later. They said that it just doesn't look right, it looks uneven.

So I thought if I shot with it sped up in camera to begin with, it might look more even.

I tried using After Effects to add motion blur to another shot. But it seems that After Effects is only smart enough to put motion blur in static shots. If the car is driving and the picture is constantly moving, the program doesn't put in anything or at least doesn't know to do it. Unless I have to do something different, when trying to add motion blur to a moving shot, as oppose to a static one?

Last edited:
Motion blur to a static shot? I'm confused what you re trying to do.

You can't add motion blur effect to your footage in AE. You apply motion blur to an OBJECT, not footage. Overlay an object onto your footage, animate the object and apply motion blur.

Dude just film the bloody car moving at a Dutch angle, add some noise effects and do some inside shots, stopwatch the excuses as to why your 5th cousins uncles brother mother in laws lost twins sons best friends teacher said you had to do it at 6fps.

Audio adds most of the illusion

Okay thanks. I already did a test but my friends say it looks fake.
Screw your friends and your hard drive. :lol:

Go get in your car with your camera.
Drive to the local long stretch of road.
Press record on your camera aimed out the front window.
Drive for a few minutes.
Stop recording.
Go home.
Transfer the footage to your computer.
It should be maybe 400KB.
Surely your PC isn't that gobbed up with data it won't fit.
Open your NLE and add file.
Snip out two minutes: 30fps x 120secs = 3600frames.
Compress to 1minute 20secs = 2400frames = (3600 / 2400 = 50% faster appearance.)
Don't do any other f#cking around with it.
Save.
Upload to youtube.
Let us look at it.

Do it.
Don't discuss it.

Don't forget that we love you, otherwise we wouldn't give a sh!t about you.

Do it.
Don't discus it.

You can do this.

There will be some reason why he can't - the tripod bounces around or is too flimsy, or there isn't a long stretch of road, or the car doesn't have a front window, or he forgot how to open up his NLE, or 400kb is too big to fit on his computer, or......

Harmonica has a chronic case of excuse-itis; but, but, but.....

There will be some reason why he can't - the tripod bounces around or is too flimsy, or there isn't a long stretch of road, or the car doesn't have a front window, or he forgot how to open up his NLE, or 400kb is too big to fit on his computer, or......

Harmonica has a chronic case of excuse-itis; but, but, but.....
I don't care if it looks like an epileptic chihuahua with Tourette's that skipped its Ritalin meds shot it.

Juuuuuuuust dooooooo iiiiiiit.
Don't discus it.
Do it.

Three minutes of video.
Leave the shutter speed on auto. Doesn't effing matter. Yet.
Pick any continuous 120secs of it.
Compress to 80secs.
Upload.
Link.

If H's friends were GD geniuses he wouldn't be here asking us anything.
The COLLECTIVE "WE" of IndieTalk are a geeeeeniuuuuus!!!!
WEEEEEEE are effing awesommmmmmme!

A hand is stonger than a finger.
"We" are stronger than "Me".

H, are you going ANYWHERE Saturday?
Then take your camera and shoot something.
Sunday. How about Sunday?
Your car/truck/moped/bicycle/horse/donkey/sled dogs aren't going to run out of gas, are they?
Then shoot something.
For the love of pizza and big titties - SHOOT SOMETHING!

I really don't wanna hear about no... meteor fell outta the sky and hit my truck or my car fell into a 60foot sink hole or my girlfriend tied me up in bed all day or aliens abducted my @ss and put a probe in my brain.

Just shoot something Saturday.
Sunday if you must.

Last edited:
Yeesh I went out and shot something didn't I? This was just one take, I shot footage for half the day.

Sunday then I will shoot on normal 24 and speed it up in post. Saturday I am helping do someone else's movie.

FANTASTIC!
So... you're driving somewhere BOTH Saturday AND Sunday!
That's four opportunities, there and back home x 2!

120seconds compressed to 80seconds!

No big whup, right?

White balanced and level would be cherry!

Hugs N kisses! I knew you could do it!

When this thread first popped up, I had the opportunity to be the first to respond and I was tempted to make some of my typical smart-ass remarks. But I knew that a ton of people would reply with the same vitriol that I would've unleashed, and the only honest answer would come from C-Pie, chiding H44 for not reading the damn manual.

H44, I know that you are sincere in everything you're doing here, but you are unintentionally trolling us.

I wish more IT'ers would recognize this and stop feeding him. JUST. DON'T. RESPOND.

Back