• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How can I make this type of out of focus shot look interesting?

Basically I am storyboarding shots for a project, and I would like to decide on the opening, establishing shot.

Now I can fade in, like a lot of movies do, but the fade has become a real cliche and is sort of a fad nowadays. Some movies still use it like Skyfall, in the opening shot for example.

I could just cut in like a lot of movies do, but I that maybe I should go for something a little more unique. I thought of the opening shot from the movie Z:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRkB7yyXw_c

As you can see, the opening shot cuts in, and it starts out, out of focus, and then goes into focus. That movie made it look good cause you see a lot of circles which turn into sparkles on the crest.

However, my opening shot takes place in an outdoor place, in the middle of the day most likely. There is no out of focus circles that will turn into sparkles or lights, when going into focus, or anything like that.

So I was wondering what I could do similarly for a shot, that will most likely be outdoors in the sun, or I could do something else, that may be better.

What do you think?

Since when is starting out of focus not one of the opening clichés? :P

Why should it start out of focus?
Is someone just waking up?
Or because it may look cool?
(Both reason are valid.)

If it is morning and the sun light hits drops of dew it can be possible to get such little highlights acting as circles.
Or if the sunlight is reflecting on a badge (if you are working on your cop story), or jewels or just some reflecting garbage.

Back