• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How can I make my characters look like they're watching television

So I have a night scene in a living room where two characters exchange dialogue as they watch television. The tv is never shown but the remote is and the act of what they're doing is implied. I have my characters pretend to watch the tv as they exchange dialogue but I would like to make it more convincing. I am going to add some low level sounds to represent the audio of what they are watching, but is there anything else I can do in post? Perhaps some flickering lighting trick on their faces and their background? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

I am going to add some low level sounds to represent the audio of what they are watching, but is there anything else I can do in post?

Make those "sounds" sound like they are coming out of a TV in a living room. IE. Mono, band-limited and quite a bit of small room (to match your dialogue) stereo reverb. If you do it right, then you won't need anything else, it will be completely convincing!

G

Back