How can I achieve this special effect?

I want to make it look like an actor's jaw has been broken off of his face, but still hanging by half. I wan to do this while the actor is moving around.

Is there any ways to make this work with it looking real? So far the best idea I have is to just put make up on him, making it look like half of his jaw is gone when really, his jaw is still there, but even with make up covering the jaw, you can still see that it's there, and it's difficult to make a jaw look like it's not there and it's a neck only, going up to the mouth.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

You could "green screen" his lower jaw, and attach a prosthetic lower jaw done with makeup to hang, shoot the foreground, then shoot the background (preferrably with no camera movement to avoid a lot of rotoscoping/removal) and then add digitally a cgi "hole" of the missing jaw that you cancelled with the green matte.
So yes, you need money for both visual and special effects.

Why are you so harsh people? He's reaching out for help. Give him a break, come on.

You can do it with practical effects, but then it has to be really subtle, no hanging, or you have to play a lot with light to hide the lower part of the jaw that is (not) missing. So it won't be only make up but also photography involved, and not even then it's sure that you'll get a proper result.

Said that, making that kind of make up is also very expensive and time consuming too.

Why are you so harsh people? He's reaching out for help. Give him a break, come on.
You're new, so don't understand.. you'll see eventually.

H44 has asked thousands of questions over the course of the past few years. Repeatedly he does not listen to reason, does not provide enough information to actually answer questions, latches onto small bits of information and tries to apply those to every scenario when they don't apply outside of the specific situation the information was initially given for, etc.

It's not that everyone is harsh or discouraging, it's that.. well.. frankly, this is kind of a lost cause.

h44 lacks conviciton. He continually tries (half heartedly) to do EVERYTHING, rather than focusing on one thing long enough to become competent... not even to master that thing, just to become competent with that one thing.

It's fine to want to do it all, but you can't do it all, all at once, without ever actually learning any of it.

These are good points. Perhaps I have been trying to learn everything too fast. Perhaps I should take a break from the filmmaking community where I live. I feel pressured to learn a lot fast to impress my filmmaking associates around me. There are actors I want to work with, as well as crew, but I feel I need to learn so much, so fast, just to be taken seriously, and perhaps this is my downfall.

If I take maybe 10 years off to learn everything, including writing, camera work, audio, vfx, make up, etc, do you think that would be enough time? I will be 40 by that time, and it was my goal years ago, to get something really good made by the time I was 30, but what if I took ten more years to really get good? Would that be enough time, then I can make contact with other filmmakers in the future and hopefully make a better impression? It seems that would be a long time, but how do others on here, master so many things so fast, so young?

I do practice with a camera every day, and I record audio in my spare time, to create a sound library, etc. Things like that. However, perhaps I am just a slower learner, or need to take a few more years, before I actually try to wear a lot of hats on a project. Right now since I have been doing a lot of writing, I think I may concentrate mostly on that, and try to master that. What do you think?

As far as not listening to reason goes, I shouldn't do that. I think I have been pressured to cut too many corners, since I am working on very low budgets, and wearing almost all the hats. But I will try my best not to cut corners.

Last edited:
If I take maybe 10 years off to learn everything, including writing, camera work, audio, vfx, make up, etc, | It seems that would be a long time, but how do others on here, master so many things so fast, so young?

THAT is your downfall H44. You have lost so much respect BECAUSE OF THIS. No one on here masters everything.

What do you think Alcove Audio does in filmmaking? Do you think he's a gaffer? No, he's sound. He has spent his career becoming specialized in post-production audio. I bet he sucks ass with a camera or setting up lights. No one respects him less because of that. [By the way Alcove... I used you as example because you do seem very professional, plus you're in Connecticut. Love Connecticut.]

You need to find your biggest passion in filmmaking and learn THAT and JUST THAT.

Last edited:
If I take maybe 10 years off to learn everything, including writing, camera work, audio, vfx, make up, etc, do you think that would be enough time?

no.

knowledge without experience means jack, especially in your case.

additionally, how do you expect to learn more than 5 jobs in 10 years when you can't learn 1 job in 3 years? it's literally not mathematically possible, if the trend continues.

(i sense a troll)

Last edited:
Okay thanks. But there are people in the business who have done there on audio mixing in post though. Some short films on here from before, it seems that the producer/director has done the audio him/herself. The reason being to save money. So I feel compelled to the same, especially when it's difficult to find masters in each category that is needed.

Okay my biggest passions are directing and acting, if I am to pick the top ones. I feel I have to write my own scripts too, to get things made. I posted adds offering to direct other people's scripts for free, but have not gotten many responses. Perhaps I just need to look elsewhere. Other filmmakers I have helped are also directing their own scripts they wrote themselves.

Now if I am to concentrate on acting and directing only, and there are not a lot of experts in other fields that I have the option of working with, at this point, what should I do, if I do not possible have enough time to learn the other fields?

yes, sometimes multiple roles are filled by the same person. that's because they are CAPABLE of doing so. you, as has been proven many times, are not.

you have a camera? shoot a scene. ONE scene. literally just shoot one 30 second scene and post it here. until then, your questions can't be taken seriously; you're just going to get berated by the users on here because you're essentially trivializing the worthwhile questions they actually need answers to by diluting the forum with your ambiguous, ignorant questions.

Last edited:
I would like to learn the multiple roles though. How can I do that correctly, if it would take too long to master them all?

Last edited:
I would like to learn the multiple roles though. How can I do that correctly, if it would take too long to master them all?

Go to Film School.

That's why I'm at Full Sail. I'm learning the basics of every field to have an understanding of each position. But that doesn't mean I plan to fill those positions, it simply helps me fit in on crews (and fill in if ABSOLUTELY needed). All the while I work on my specialties of directing & cinematography.

Back