Horror films that don't rely on Gore.

If you haven't seen it already, definitely check out 1408.
I watch more than my fair share of horror films, be it big budget (Like the Rob Zombie's Halloween) or something I've picked up for a quid out of a DVD bargain bin. 1408 is one of the only films I've found genuinely scary. There's pretty much nothing in the way of gore in it, just suspense and so on.

I really like the idea of a horror film that doesn't rely on the characters only being afraid of death. Fear of the unknown is much worse!

The Innocents is a beautiful horror film with absolutely no blood and gore. Just perfect atmosphere.

The original halloween isnt as gorey as you remember it.

The first half of the Decent (before the monsters show up) is very good at creating a claustrophobic atmosphere with its tight spaces, dim or red-ish lighting, and extreme close ups.

If you havent seen Zodiac I highly recommend you go out and see it right away. While its not an actual horror film per say, it has some moments that are absolutely terrifying. The scene were the Zodiac picks up the women with the baby for example, is really scary.

Although it could be catagorized as a psychological thriller - M. Night Shamelot's "The Village" keeps one on edge waiting for something "horrible" to happen.

Tension, apprehension and unpredictability are elements that may be utilized in a good horror film.

cheers

Personally i liked the gift its kinda cheesy but i liked it...

Also, i really enjoy the omen sure it has gruesome parts but it leaves me on the edge of my seat every time.

For some weird reason old black and white movies creep me out the most. they don't have gore or anything dramatic, but since they don't they really had some great techniques for creeping me out. I couldn't give you anytitles but just go out to blockbuster or netflix and look around!

The Haunting (1963 - robert wise) - to me, the best example of this
The Shining (1980 - stanley kubrick) - a little gore, but mostly psychological
The Innocents (1961 - jack clayton) - some very creepy moments
Rosemary's Baby (1968 - roman polanski) - no gore, but seriously messed up lol
Inland Empire (2006 - david lynch) - not a "horror" move, per se, but still some very creepy moments in there... you might also take a look at his "lost highway" and "mulholland dr." for some more great lynch creepiness

and for some more subtle stuff.... look at the 1940's low budget RKO "horror" films by producer Val Lewton

Back