homage or plagiarism?

What's the difference between a well done tribute and a blatant rip-off?

If a character puts on some music then dances around splashing another character with petrol, chatting away insanely before lighting a cigarette, flicking the match and sitting down to watch, would we consider that an homage to the great Mr Brown, or pretty much stealing his idea? Is it all in the execution? Is it the subtle differences? Or the shameless throwbacks to the original?

I've been wondering this for some time and thought I'd ask the forums opinions.

:) ang

if you try to keep the original a secret, then you're ripping it off. if you know, and the audience knows that it is a reference, then its homage. that my perspective.

Well the tune I have in mind is that gasolina song, I have no idea who or what it's by, but if you've heard it, you'll know what I'm talking about and that lighting someone on fire while playing it would be FANTASTIC! (In a movie obviously, not in real life. That's just sick) :p

The music's really quite irrelevant though, it could probably be pretty much any song and it would still work. As long as it's not 'Stuck in the Middle With You'... I think that's what that song's called. I know what I'm talking about

What's the difference between a well done tribute and a blatant rip-off?

If a character puts on some music then dances around splashing another character with petrol, chatting away insanely before lighting a cigarette, flicking the match and sitting down to watch, would we consider that an homage to the great Mr Brown, or pretty much stealing his idea?

The great "Mr Brown" came up with that? :hmm:

Every single film that the great "Mr Brown" has made is compiled of his favourite movie scenes, and taken from pretty much every movie he has seen (and liked).

Great director. Great story-teller. Not original... new packaging.

It's the only movie I've ever seen it in. I haven't seen many movies

Well, that's neither here nor there.

Just watch some interviews, or BTS vids or commentary track, with him. He can go into great detail about the scenes from the various movies that he's recycled and reimagined into his own. It's like watching a re-enactment of Cluedo, where:

Edgy Character (from old film X) brings the
Cool Weapon (from old film Y) to win the day at
Crazy Location (from old film Z)...

... and it all makes sense later. :cool:

The point being - don't worry about whether someone might think your "new" scene is actually old. (It probably is, somewhere). Are you lending your own fresh breath of life to it?

Well, that's neither here nor there.

Just watch some interviews, or BTS vids or commentary track, with him. He can go into great detail about the scenes from the various movies that he's recycled and reimagined into his own.

I was struck by the irony of this thread given the film referenced as an example. :D

Another example. If you saw Kill Bill, track down a movie called "Female Prisoner 701 Scorpion." You'll recognize the music. "Mr. Brown" took homage and made it into an art all his own.

If you didn't see KB, I recommend it. Then watch the other one. ;)

Ok, I see. The xyz thing made it clear for me. You have to talk slowly to me :p

Yeah I've seen Kill Bill. I feel like just telling the movie industry to just stop for a few months and let me catch up. There's so much I don't get and I feel like such a noob lol.

Thanks for your in put everyone, I kinda thought that the difference was trying to hide it or being open about what you're referencing or where you got your inspiration or whatever, and that seems to be what most people have said.
:)

Back