Hollywood Studios are going to shut down

I can tell you that the current movie studio industry has come to a close. Having visited many studios in the past I can tell you they face so many new challenges with strikes, costs, etc. The real future of entertainment is on the net. Google is begining to develop new series for online video, and online industry newcomers like *************** are now slowly rolling out Quality fullscreen video. The kind you can actually watch clearly on your TV. So there is no question the TV networks are too big for the future. I've watched many young people allow themselves to be trampled by a glimmer of a chance to work in Hollywood, only to find nothing. My advice to up and comers is to forget Hollywood.

What do you think? If your in filmschool what are professors saying? Anybody got inside industry info?

I disagree. I don't think the major studios are on the verge of shutting down. Things will shift gears though, and the internet will continue to become an exhibition destination.

I do think it's foolish to spend a large sum of money on a film degree with nothing to serve as a back up. Someone interested in pursuing a career in film would be wise to major in business or marketing and minor in film, with focus on history and anthropology. That would give the most well rounded education and protect you for the more likely than not situation where you can't find work within the Hollywood system. But to totally rule out Hollywood is also foolish. It is now, and has been for a LONG time where most of the money in the industry is at, so if you're looking at film as something more than just a hobby, it would be foolish to ignore the Hollywood system -- but it's certainly wise not to count on it.

The studios ain't going anywhere. If suddenly the 10 BILLION dollar domestic box office and the fact that a studio like disney/pixar can put Ratatouille out on DVD and do 57 MILLION dollars the first week in what is a fairly ROUTINE pattern, dissapears, you might be on to something. I think all of this mis-information and mis-conception about this business is fools gold. The studios ain't going to roll over, people are still going to want to escape or go on dates at a movie theater, they will still want to buy Disney/Pixar movies for their kids, or buy a chunk of the nearly 1 BILLION dollar Transformers franchise, or watch Depp and Knightly in Pirates.

I mean, I want to see high quality independent films and filmmakers do well and make money and a lot of people to see their films. I am an indie too, and want my films to do well. But I think to buy into this notion that the world is suddenly going to turn upside down, studios are going to roll over, and the internet is going to become this magical wonderland where everyone will make zillions is naive. If you think costs of developing watchable professional productions goes down just because the internet exists, forget it. You still have to market, you still have to actually produce the film, and while you may not need to hire union crew, you still have to hire crew.

And then consider the amount of people who can actually output their computer's data to their brand new plasma, lcd or projector is maybe 2-5% of the total population.

I look for all of this to change in the next 20 years, and trend moreso towards a growing HTPC, but even then, the HTPC/internet market will just slot in aside HD-DVD or BluRay, which will slot in alongside the now mostly-digitally projected theaters in America.

And THEN, there are technologies that are not being used yet that only large studios could afford to use and promote such as a return to 3d with holographic projection and beyond.

And THEN, if the internet DOES become the answer, what will prevent studios from jumping into THAT game and bullying independents out of the way?

That said, I think independent films will continue to grow in market share, but to believe "the internet" is the answer, is just as harmful as a theater actress from Nebraska moving to Hollywood to "make it" as an actress syndrome.

When you've made money on the internet from your youtube TV shows and podcasts, come let me know.

Last edited:
The movie industry has something going for it the music industry does not, and for this reason, they are not hurt as much by the Internet. The theater! The theater is an experience. It will always be. If anything they'll make theaters more interactive with moving and shaking chairs, smells, audience voting for endings, whatever, but the theater is an escape, and people like to escape.

The movie industry has something going for it the music industry does not, and for this reason, they are not hurt as much by the Internet. The theater! The theater is an experience. It will always be. If anything they'll make theaters more interactive with moving and shaking chairs, smells, audience voting for endings, whatever, but the theater is an escape, and people like to escape.

There is still something to be said about a live music show though too... but it's an entirely different bird. :P

I can tell you that the current movie studio industry has come to a close. Having visited many studios in the past I can tell you they face so many new challenges with strikes, costs, etc. The real future of entertainment is....
Fill in the blank.

This was said with the mass production of TV sets in the early 1950's. The current
movie studio industry was going to come to a close.

This was said in the early 1980's when stores started renting movies on video
tape. The current movie studio industry was going to come to a close.

The studios have always faced many challenges. Just because people were able to
get their entertainment on a TV set for free in their living room, didn't mean no one
would very go into a movie theater again or the studios wouldn't get into the TV
production business. Just because people can rent a movie or TV show doesn't mean
no one will go to a theater or watch TV or the studios can't make product directly for
rental.

Just because there is entertainment product being offered on the net, doesn't mean
studios won't keep making movies for the theaters, broadcast TV, cable TV, the home
video market and the net.
So there is no question the TV networks are too big for the future. I've watched many young people allow themselves to be trampled by a glimmer of a chance to work in Hollywood, only to find nothing. My advice to up and comers is to forget Hollywood.
No question? None at all? I think you can clearly see that's not the case.

I've been in the business for a while - I've watched many young people allow
themselves to actually get work in Hollywood and make good money doing what
they love. But I like your advice to the up and comers. the more people who don't
try, the better for those that do.

I think the only thing that can be said with any amount of certainty about anything in this thread thus far, is that "formerfilmstudent" is trying to plug an unheard of online entertainment site. :D

Spam!

You know Will that was my first thought, but I thought it said Google owned it. Yeah this is an advertisement, I just found the same post on other forums. He is trying to get clicks to it for traffic, as it is listed for sale on another site! Good call!

Yep I can see how the studio's are on the rocks... the total in just cinema takings alone THIS YEAR were in the HUNDREDS of billions worldwide.

Studios will evolve but cinema will be around for some time to come.

Back