• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Hollywood representation directory

So, is there someone who has uploaded it in 4shared or something to get it for free? I'm sure many of you have it, so you can upload it and give me the link. Now, you could either answer "hey, are we assholes who paid to get it and you are the smartass who wants us to give it to you for free?" or you can answer "Yeap. Here's the link..."

Or we can answer... if you don't have permission from the creators of said resource, it's against the forum rules (and probably the law) to share it. In the same way many here hope to make a living doing film, investment requires a return... the directory doesn't get made for free, it shouldn't be expected to be provided/acquired for free; there are bills to be paid and mouths to feed somewhere.

That said, I hope you have luck finding it.

Last edited:
Go to the public library. This information changes so frequently (who is representing whom) that it goes out of date quickly. I'd be highly suspicious of a free source being up-to-date.

Echoing Knightly's comments, if you're expecting to profit you need to be respectful of the people who expect to profit from their efforts.

If you are simply looking to find literary agents, there are a few sources out there. The Writers Guild of America (WGA) provides a free listing with contact information. I should point out that these agencies are VERY HARD to get a consideration if you have no credits. If you are looking for representation, some avenues are Inktip, contests (though I'm loathe to recommend these as there are so many scams), and workshops. Professional workshops and classes are often a convenient in for promising scriptwriters. In all cases, be expected to put in the time and effort. Despite living in a digital world, many agencies still prefer print copies for their readers. Unless you're established, expect that you're going to receive a number of rejections. Even with credits, you need to expect that your script may not meet the studio/producer's needs. Some of the start-up production companies will often put out an open call for scripts. In all, be careful and protect your work. Many contests and calls for scripts simply take your money and ideas with no return.

As Rayw is often fond of pointing out, there are lots of scripts written and very few movies made. Given that, it is often better to produce your own script(s) to build up some credit before seeking out representation. From their perspective, they make money building on success, not the unknown. It's hard breaking in as a new novelist trying to get an agent or publisher to consider their masterpiece. It's a zillion times harder as a screenwriter if you don't have contacts or credit.

Probably not the answer you sought but hopefully advice you can consider. Good luck.

Well, in fact I've done my homework and have several contracts. Some of them are serious, others are just stupid. I mean, the first contract I got stated "you will not use the material, or elements of it unless you first negotiate with me", while other ones stated "the company doesn't have to negotiate with you, you're voluntarily submitting the screenplay". Well, someone should say these guys "hey, did I fucking write 250 pages for nothing?"...

This is not a question. It's an advice for screenwriters. These "release form" contracts are tricky. You can find yourself giving everything you worked for in your life for just nothing. If they don't state there will be further contracts or negotiations NEVER sign them...

And, I'm just wondering about the stupidity of these companies... Is there a professional writer who would sign a contract that states "I voluntarily send you my life work because I'm a good guy and I want to make you reach out of my expense"?

Yes, I'm the one who spoke about art and not making writing just a job. It truly has to be an art or even a science. But that means you don't expect too much reward, not that you don't expect any reward at all... right?

Last edited:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1440329168

Break with the $25 and buy it.

FYI: IMDB Pro is not a reliable source of serious contact info. Screenwriter's Guide is much better,

Studio Systems is what is professionally used, and it rarely contains the same info as IMDB. It's also basically inaccessible unless you know someone who works for a studio or agency or such, which is a shame.

Also, go the WGA West site and look at a proper release form, 'cause legitimate production companies.Agents, etc. will want you to sign one.

Those books are out of date the second they are published.

Anything that is in there you can find with more up to date info on the web, or by calling the main lines and asking who is the head of "insert department here" or whomever it is you are looking to contact.

You know, the funniest release form they've sent me was from a big company, that actually stated "I voluntarily submit the screenplay to you and the company doesn't have to pay you or to give you any rights to the project if it's selected". Careful of these submission forms... they can be tricky...

Well, the good thing is that no agency has ever doubt that my screenplay will be sold one day. I just need the right agency to represent me. Which AGENTS (not agencies) would you suggest for thriller / horror movies? (pm me the e-mail addresses please, if they are not available in public)

Yes. Because they state from the beginning they are not interested in too much violence. That's why I'm looking for an agent who doesn't have a problem with "violence"...
I've got two screenplays full of violence. When I posted them to get reviews, everyone commented things like: '' The main character is a villain, and this is a villain's story. Period!", " Why must this script have the highest body count in movie history?".

Hey... my last answer to an agent named Eddie Kritzer who requested five hundred dollars before he even reads my script. I offered him 30% out of the evaluation of the script (instead of the 15% or 20% that all agents take) and he just refused. He only wanted the five hundred dollars. So I answered...

Hey asshole, "boyfriends" are for civilized multi-cultural homosexuals like you... My writing doesn't suck, you just suck cocks and don't have time to manage because the dicks pressure your larynx... By the way, I have a dick too if you are interested, and that's going to cost you five hundred dollars... And don't forget to turn off the oven, or your mother won't be able to get eaten anymore...

Best regards

Last edited:
Back