HMMM is it smart to goto Florida for film??

I live in NYC but the prob is that theres too much distractions here and i want to goto a film school that basically a new experience, so i decide to goto UCF (University of central florida) i hear its a fantastic film school................... And NO im not going to NYU those people are just Show off jerks who think they crap roses so HELLZ no im not going there, just let me know if its possible cuz i know for a fact at somepoint im going to get my masters in UCLA

Last edited by a moderator:
the best film schools down here are FSU and Valencia CC. They are both fantastic. UCF isn't bad ether but if your going to orlando defiantly look into valencia i'm going there now and i'm very happy with it. It is primarily a below-the-line school with a one year program and you get your AS. You probably want to work above the line in the future, but anyone working above the line is useless if they do not understand below the line. then you could move on to UCF or UCLA.

I'm in comunnity college right now I'm in bmcc which is a great film cc but for my bfa I wanna goto ucf my girl goes to Valencia but I wanna dorm and need to goto a university. I know fsu is great but I gotta stay In Orlando it's the only place I can goto if crap hits the fan and I need a place to stay till I can get back to NYC.

i might know your girl lol especially if she's in film. So your planning to already have our AA when you come here. i guess UCF is a good place to finish i might do that.

eh, in orlando and miami some but not alot. barely anything right now. A big picture comes every couple of years (never back down in orlando, punisher in tampa) but it's not common. Good place for school but the serious people get out of town pretty quick once there done with school.

You might want to check into Full Sail. The industry is non-existent there, it never really was in Orlando, it was in Miami, and is down: http://www.miamitodaynews.com/news/100211/story2.shtml. They are trying to revive Miami with tax credits as of late. Miami works when you want to shoot something in picturesque Miami so basically yeah, it still gets location work, but it is not a studio or working area.

You might want to check into Full Sail. The industry is non-existent there, it never really was in Orlando, it was in Miami, and is down: http://www.miamitodaynews.com/news/100211/story2.shtml. They are trying to revive Miami with tax credits as of late. Miami works when you want to shoot something in picturesque Miami so basically yeah, it still gets location work, but it is not a studio or working area.

i heard of full sail but i heard it was like practically a scam because people pay like 60grand to go and you dont really get anywhere with it and idk i think im better off paying to get a Bachelors

A bachelor's for what? It won't get you on a film set. What are your goals? Once you figure out your goals, the choices are easier.

well i wanna eventually get my masters because my plan on a fall back would be to be a film professor, believe me i got my goals in place. Im not going to waste my time and money in a place thats going to teach me what i already know and then when im done with it cant do a thing about it plus in school its a way easier way to network man

I have a bachelor's I was just asking because some people think after school they show their degree to a producer and get hired. Film is all about networking and making films. The films are your resume. An education is always a good thing and should not be discouraged. Good luck.

thanks a lot man its def refreshing to hear someone else out there has a degree in the film industry man, i know its not necessary but its def something great to have thanks alot for the input and again thats very refreshing to know that man thanks

Life is what you make it. Film schools are much the same. You can step up, work on as many projects as possible and try different areas. Or you can be an assistant editor or grip on a few projects and skate out the door with a weak education.

We need to know what you want walk out the door with? Do you want to direct? Write? Shoot? Edit? Grip? Audio?

If you have an area of interest, if would help steer you in the right direction.

If you want a general education, then film school is good. Again, it's what you make it. NYU could work for you if you just say this is what I want, help or get out of the way. A small school could work as long as they have enough gear. I've seen small community colleges with 35mm and 16mm cameras, extensive grip and lighting packages, edit stations and more gear than some film schools I've visited.

Do some research, see what's out there and then visit a 2-3 schools.

If you're serious about getting into the hollywood system, then I recommend looking at Southern California. They have connections to that system that you're not going to find elsewhere. Again, nothing is guaranteed. It is what you make it.

Regarding Full Sail, I've had students from that program grip and gaff for me and they were very good. I think it's great for people who have picked a specific area and want to focus on that. It's not cheap and is not a rip off, unless you expect them to do it all for you.

Scott

I have a BA from UCF in film and animation. It's been awhile since I've been there and a lot changed right after I left, so I can only speak to my experience.

The biggest advantage of UCF over FSU (I went to the film school there for a year) is that you get to make films more or less on your own. FSU pays for film stock so they ration the number of films that can be made.

UCF is totally about what you put into it. I found the professors largely uninformative. One of them basically used it as his own rent-free equipment supplier. If you know almost anything about production, then you'll know about as much as they do.

So when you get there, use the time to build up some demo reel material. Make lots of short films. Write lots of scripts. Take advantage of fellow students willing to work on your sets for free and actors from the theater dept.

And when it's all over, get the f-ck out of Orlando. Again, it's been awhile for me, but the film community outside of UCF is virtually non-existent. And what few companies are there are sh-t. The exception is Leonard-Chapman. They were pretty cool.

Back