Hiss in Filmic Pro

Thanks in advance for any help this gets.

I just started to use FilmicPro with my iPhone 5s. I get very loud hissing in everything I shoot. I thought it might be nearby electronics (my laptop), but I tried again in a quiet parking lot at dawn. Got hissing and some clicking as well.

I am using only the iPhone mic. No additional hardware, since my iRig seems not to pick up much sound at all. I may have damaged it, but it never worked as well as the built-in iPhone mic. I do not get this effect when I use the VoiceMemo app, but I do get it when I use the built-in camera app.

Any thoughts?

The mic in the iPhone is worth about 29¢, the "preamp" about 59¢. Cheap components have huge amounts of self-noise.

A real mic & recorder would go a long way to solving your problem.

Thanks again

Gee, thanks for the prompt responses.

I guess I will sort this out by myself. If I come up with a solution I will probably keep it to myself.

If I wanted to take shit from strangers, I would stick to my day job.

How is pointing out that cheap gear has lots of self-noise and is most probably the cause of your hiss issues "taking shit from strangers?" And how is suggesting that you buy equipment that is designed to do the job you want to get done giving you shit? Using cheap gear gets you cheap results. Sorry you don't like the answers.

Since you are using minimal gear and apparently have a minimal budget the usual "fixes," such as investing $1k on Izotope RX or hiring an audio post professional to reduce your hiss issues in audio post, or hiring a production sound team to avoid the problem in the first place, will not work for you.

So, based upon the extremely minimal information in your post you got some decent answers.

You have a location of Boston. You could try Emerson College, Massachusetts College of Art and Design, and Boston University for help. However, you were given good advice. The quality of the equipment can cause a lot of problems, even in the hands of experts.

Thanks in advance for any help this gets.

I just started to use FilmicPro with my iPhone 5s. I get very loud hissing in everything I shoot. I thought it might be nearby electronics (my laptop), but I tried again in a quiet parking lot at dawn. Got hissing and some clicking as well.

I am using only the iPhone mic. No additional hardware, since my iRig seems not to pick up much sound at all. I may have damaged it, but it never worked as well as the built-in iPhone mic. I do not get this effect when I use the VoiceMemo app, but I do get it when I use the built-in camera app.

Any thoughts?

Built-in camera apps are terrible. Pay $5 or whatever and get a better app with more control over your camera and sound.

Back