• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

critique High-Octane Thrill-Ride, but grounded in reality. Feedback welcome.

Hello,
There's so much I want to say, but I don't want to overwhelm everyone with large blocks of text. If there is interest, I will happily provide more information. I am open-minded and welcome constructive criticism.

Frederick L. Raleigh is a young and naive college graduate who still lives with his parents and works for the family business but doesn't drive his own car. One day, Fred's uncle in another state passes away and his next-of-kin are throwing out or selling all of his old possessions since the uncle never made a will. Among these possessions are old project cars, many of which are not in running condition or are not particularly valuable, so the uncle's immediate family wants them all hauled off. Fred makes a deal with his aunt to buy one of the cars (an old Ford Thunderbird) over the phone, so he scrapes together the money he needs and makes travel arrangements. To his dismay, Fred discovers that his aunt forgot about their deal and the car he wanted to buy had been hauled to a scrapyard mere hours before he arrived to purchase it. Even though Fred tracks down the junkyard that has the car, he is unable to persuade the man in charge to sell him the car since it has already been "entered into the system" and thus, wasn't worth the aggravation. The vehicle will certainly be crushed in less than 48 hours.

Emotionally compromised, Fred steals the car under the cover of darkness and retreats to his home state. One thing leads to another, and Fred finds himself living a double life where he hides the fact that he stole the car from his friends and immediate family while he is constantly on the run from the police who are closing in on him. So, Fred is forced to move out and ends up working various odd jobs in small towns where nobody knows (or cares) that he may have stolen his daily driver. Fred basically lives out of a suitcase and sleeps in the back seat of his car, since he can't afford an apartment. Eventually, Fred accidentally sees something he wasn't supposed to, and he winds up forming an uneasy alliance with an unsavory group of organized criminals who heavily compensate Fred (and let him live) in exchange for his driving services. All the while, parts on the Thunderbird keep wearing out and Fred pours nearly all his money into keeping it running until he can figure out a plan to get himself out of the massive hole that he dug for himself.

I can keep going, but I want to hold back and give people a chance to ask questions and to critique what the first two episodes of my series are essentially.
The series will heavily revolve around the Thunderbird and will hopefully appeal to car guys.
Thanks for reading.
-Rick Leuce

I'm familiar with the Cash for Clunkers program... I also read about it here:

Car Allowance Rebate System Cash For Clunkers on Wikipedia

and here:

Cash For Clunkers on Investopedia

But the fact remains... The government didn't take these cars over. Wrecking yards all over the country contracted with the government to take these cars off the hands of their owners. After taking possession? They did what they wanted with the vehicles... Scrapped them. Crushed them. Sold them for parts... Whatever.

So now? I'm even a bit more confused... The program started in 2009. Those cars had to be less than 25 years old and while a 1984 Thunderbird is an okay car? It sure isn't a collector's item or in my opinion... Any kind of car someone would get too attached to. Older versions of Thunderbird? Absolutely. I get WHY YOU'RE USING IT... You have three of them.

At this point? It might be wise to get all the unbelievable stuff out of it and start honing in on your concept with a very broad outline. To be honest? At this point? I'm still confused by a lot of what you have here. Not saying it couldn't work but that's why I say you might be wise to begin honing down a real outline. I'd also create a concise logline as well so you can KEEP referring to IT if you get off track. A good logline... What I call a COMPASS LOGLINE (not a pitching logline), will help keep you on track.

Good luck!
Thank you so much.

I entertained the idea of there being a second Cash4Clunkers, but decided that would be unnecessary. We’re a whole decade away from that first one, so its not that relevant anymore. Ive owned my car since 2012, so the Cash4Clunker idea was way more fresh when I was initially thinking about it, but even then, a few years had gone by.

The hero car is a 1990 Thunderbird SC 5-spd. Kinda rare, relatively easy to find cheap. They require a little more maintenance than most, so stealing one from a junkyard is extremely risky; anything from the ABS to the headgaskets could fail if it wasnt maintained very well. Both systems fail later in the series, but not in the pilot.

Ill work on the Compass log line and share what I got.

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate your insight and patience.
-Rick

Last edited:
No worries... Nice car too. That's got the factory supercharger on it. They even handle fair.

Good luck with it and we'll be here...
Thanks.
Now, I’m still thinking about alternative ways to get the ball rolling, but I just remembered how I want the series to end in the finale (after the second or third season). It ends with Columbia getting wrecked (while Fred is doing something heroic). Fred survives but the car goes to a junkyard; bringing the series full circle. Fred is going to visit the junkyard and pull things from the car to remember it by, like shift knob, badges and whatnot. While he is doing so, he finds little things accidentally left behind that were once important earlier in the series. Like a necklace from a character that died in season 2, the envelope that had the money in it when he tried to buy the car legally, etc. Id still like to bring it full circle, so Im trying to think about ways the car could start out in a junkyard but he gets it. Maybe he buys it from the junkyard legally but something can go wrong. Im still thinking about it.

I feel like this would benefit from incorporating some humor, perhaps via mis-direction.

We start by seeing Fred save his pennies and talking about how much he needs and wants his own car - so we think that's what he's saving for. But he's actually saving to buy a half dozen cans of spray paint, which he uses after he steals a wreck from a used car lot. He spray paints it and is super proud of it but petrified of getting caught.

The used car dealer is actually thrilled to be rid of the car - which Fred never knows - because his brother in law had pestered him to sell it on commission, but it's a piece of shit, which the brother in law refused to accept. Now he can give the guy $100 and say that's all he got.

Fred's mom is bed-ridden and wants him to have great adventures that she can't share. So he tells her he's off to work at a (fictional) theme park, and texts her ridiculous photos of him wearing silly costumes - including when he thinks he's getting chased by the police for the robbery that happened while he was in the neighborhood.

He can have a whole series of adventures and mis-adventures, playing on the idea that he thinks he's being chased by the cops but isn't and while he tries to keep his mother entertained and in the dark.

At the end of the first season, he could have worked on the car to the point where it's in decent shape and actually worth something, but he wants something "honest." He doesn't have a title etc, so he has to make fake ones at a Kinko's type place. Then he can sell the car, and buy something semi-decent.

As he's driving off the used car lot with his legitimate car, a guy chases after him angrily. That's his car that was re-possessed and he wants it back. So we end with the cliff-hanger that now someone really IS chasing him.

Anyway...my take on the idea. Good luck!

Why is it important he start off as a petty thief. We want him hiding right? And the suspense of being on the run

Last edited:
Why is it important he start off as a petty thief. We want him hiding right? And the suspense of being on the run
Yes. I guess he doesnt have to start out as a petty thief; but I want Fred to want the car even though he shouldnt have it. You guys are making me rethink a lot of things here. Hopefully I can come up with a good beginning; but I want it to mesh well with Season 2 (which is the good part).

Yes. I guess he doesnt have to start out as a petty thief; but I want Fred to want the car even though he shouldnt have it. You guys are making me rethink a lot of things here. Hopefully I can come up with a good beginning; but I want it to mesh well with Season 2 (which is the good part).

thats a huge red flag that season 2 is the good part. it means you need to do a lot of rewriting on season 1 and challenge yourself to make it just as good as season 2 !! believe in yourself that season 1 can reach the same quality and then dont give up until it happens.

its good we are giving you things to think about. I wanted to throw some ideas out too instead of just tearing holes in your plot
its way easier to criticize than it is to create

you might not want to hear this but.. seriously man. if you can't get season 1 as good.. just chop it up into a single episode and then season 2 starts in the second episode. Jump to the gold and stop wasting your audiences time with shit you know isnt as good. EDIT out the fat. chop chop chop.

I feel like this would benefit from incorporating some humor, perhaps via mis-direction.

We start by seeing Fred save his pennies and talking about how much he needs and wants his own car - so we think that's what he's saving for. But he's actually saving to buy a half dozen cans of spray paint, which he uses after he steals a wreck from a used car lot. He spray paints it and is super proud of it but petrified of getting caught.

The used car dealer is actually thrilled to be rid of the car - which Fred never knows - because his brother in law had pestered him to sell it on commission, but it's a piece of shit, which the brother in law refused to accept. Now he can give the guy $100 and say that's all he got.

Fred's mom is bed-ridden and wants him to have great adventures that she can't share. So he tells her he's off to work at a (fictional) theme park, and texts her ridiculous photos of him wearing silly costumes - including when he thinks he's getting chased by the police for the robbery that happened while he was in the neighborhood.

He can have a whole series of adventures and mis-adventures, playing on the idea that he thinks he's being chased by the cops but isn't and while he tries to keep his mother entertained and in the dark.

At the end of the first season, he could have worked on the car to the point where it's in decent shape and actually worth something, but he wants something "honest." He doesn't have a title etc, so he has to make fake ones at a Kinko's type place. Then he can sell the car, and buy something semi-decent.

As he's driving off the used car lot with his legitimate car, a guy chases after him angrily. That's his car that was re-possessed and he wants it back. So we end with the cliff-hanger that now someone really IS chasing him.

Anyway...my take on the idea. Good luck!
Hello,
I totally agree that humor should be incorporated. I have a few ideas but most dont come into play until season 2.

I’m a little reluctant to bring it up now, so don’t tell my friends about it (not that you would). But season 2 is basically the real story I want to tell, and what has become season 1 was originally just going to be 2-3 episodes about a car theft and turning himself in. Season 2 is where Fred becomes a cop.
The original reason I went with a white car was so that it could be dressed up into a police car (I was car shopping for black, blue, and white cars). It took me 1.5 years to come up with the Columbia name; I worked the symbolism into the story later.
In season 2, Fred serves jail time and must serve a lot of community service. He is also on probation and cannot leave the state of Georgia. Unfortunately, Fred’s entire immediate family except for his brother are moving to another state. Freds family will be in season 2 for a while, Fred helps them load the trucks and whatnot, but ultimately he has to stay behind until he can legally leave. Through the season, Fred has conflicted feelings about Georgia; all his friends and family are gone (except his brother, who also plans on moving in a couple years to another state). So this is Freds home, its where he grew up, but he doesnt want to live in it anymore, but must until his time is up.

Fred gradually loves his home state again, and it will be teased that he may ultimately stay in Georgia despite the feelings he has now.

He tries to join the police because he thinks his skills coukd prove useful as a driver and because he thinks the police could benefit from his insight on the crime group he used to be a part of; nearly all the police disagree. When he reveals how much information he has on the sketchy group from season 1, the police chief reluctantly accepts his help and keeps a close eye on him.
The chief just wants Fred to share all he knows but Fred “spoon feeds” just enough information so they cant get rid of him easily. This leads to situations where the police are annoyed and resent him, but keep involving Fred because they desperately need to stop this crime group; which is responsible for smuggling numerous illegal goods and even human trafficking. Fred has to wear an anklet and he can’t go anywhere without supervision, but he gets to help out the police and feel like he is redeeming himself. This is extremely truncated, I will explain it better later with more important info. But this is the direction of the series I an aiming for. Something like Psych and White Collar.

thats a huge red flag that season 2 is the good part. it means you need to do a lot of rewriting on season 1 and challenge yourself to make it just as good as season 2 !! believe in yourself that season 1 can reach the same quality and then dont give up until it happens.

its good we are giving you things to think about. I wanted to throw some ideas out too instead of just tearing holes in your plot
its way easier to criticize than it is to create
Lets see.
Season 1, in a way, is the prequel to season 2. Its the backstory to the actual stuff I care about. Because I dont have a budget, friends, or anyone to help me out for the time being, I was planning on shooting parts of Season 1 episodes by myself and/or with the help of one other person. Season 1 is kind of designed to be (largely) easy to film and focused more on a single person with a car (which I have total control over) hiding and being clever. I really want to get into convoluted stuff but I need to start somewhere. So on one hand, i agree season one should try to be as good as season 2, but it will have limitations. On the bright side, for fans at least, they can look forward to the series getting better and better instead of gradually declining.

you might not want to hear this but.. seriously man. if you can't get season 1 as good.. just chop it up into a single episode and then season 2 starts in the second episode. Jump to the gold and stop wasting your audiences time with shit you know isnt as good. EDIT out the fat. chop chop chop.
You make a good point and I want to heed this advice.
Sorry if my information dump is kind of disjointed and out-of-order. I'm basically dumping 8 years of daydreams and ideas into a forum out of order (so I really need to lay this stuff out properly). Nearly every idea for this series came from the music I listen to, so when I dug up my old iPod, whole chunks of story I had half-forgotten were re-remembered. Unfortunately, due to how licensing works, songs I had imagined could be used in this movie will largely not be used. I'll need to stick to royalty free and/or hiring a composer.

This may sound crazy, but most of season 1 is going to have stuff in it that may not be "great" but its the best I can do for now. Its not like truncating everything I have for season 1 into 2 episodes means we get to the good stuff sooner; I literally don't have the money, crew, talent, or equipment to even make season 2. Season 1, by design, is kind of the "free sample" of what I'm working towards. I want people to get hooked, so it's free to watch. Since it's free to watch, people may be less critical of the pacing, royalty free music, and lack of special effects. This is not to say people will tolerate boring, but I am not Disney, so I don't expect anyone to want to pay to see this... but they may be willing to make a contribution to Patreon after they see its potential. The focus is largely going to focus on the character flaws of Fred, his motives, his predicament, and relationship with his car. There will also be a lot of foreshadowing and hinting at the events that will take place during season 2. Season 1 also gives me a chance to test the waters and to see what people generally like or dislike in the series before I dump thousands of dollars into it.

I'm really going to need to pull my thoughts together, I have so many ideas I've never actually written out and they just float around in my head and its sometimes difficult to explain all the relevant pieces of information coherently. Some of this stuff I've never typed or told anybody before, so it's a real exercise trying to remember everything that I thought was relevant and trying to explain it to other people. I've told some of this to my brother and best friend, but they don't critique it like you guys do. It's a good thing you guys are offering feedback because its the only way I'm going to challenge and/or improve ideas that I've taken for granted for years.

Last edited:
I would love to do a 100 million epic sci fi fantasy film and yet i dont have the resources. so the stuff i do right now isnt as exciting.
I get what youre saying.

Just dont settle, make sure you challenge yourself. Make it as good as you can through rewrites. And then distill the story and make it as short as you can too.

I have to agree here... Season 1 is pivotal to get RIGHT IF you want to HOOK your audience and keep them watching.

But I'm confused here... So I get that you want this to be a series. How do you plan on getting it to audiences? I mean really... What's your plan here once you shoot this?

I only ask because you may be putting the cart before the horse...

I have to agree here... Season 1 is pivotal to get RIGHT IF you want to HOOK your audience and keep them watching.

But I'm confused here... So I get that you want this to be a series. How do you plan on getting it to audiences? I mean really... What's your plan here once you shoot this?

I only ask because you may be putting the cart before the horse...
Hello and thank you for your feedback.
Please let me know if there is a better way, but I was going to film this in the style of a television series, but post some of the early episodes on Youtube. I would post links of these Youtube videos on car forums that I think would be interested. I’ve already teased this idea to a forum for Thunderbirds like mine. They could watch some episodes for free and decide if they want to pay to see more.
I figure fans of 1980s-1990s Thunderbirds will particularly give this series a try as well as other car enthusiasts. From there, I hope word will spread.
I will also “dress up” my car as it is featured in the series and take it to local car shows. I figure local car enthusiasts may be willing to try watching this especially if they know its made by a car enthusiast in their community.

So you're talking about making a web series... Okay. Cool. If you can actually pull off making the series and it rocks? You never know. Could work for your niche.

Good luck!
Thanks for the feedback. This has been the most Ive ever gotten ever, and its all happened in less than a week.

Ive got some polishing to do; huge chunks of the story have never been summarized in text before, so Ill need to hash it all out and analyze it over several days so that I can identify weaker areas, remove unnecessary subplots, and refine whats left.

I cant wait till this weekend when I may have a couple hours to spend working on this.

Thanks for the feedback. This has been the most Ive ever gotten ever, and its all happened in less than a week.

Ive got some polishing to do; huge chunks of the story have never been summarized in text before, so Ill need to hash it all out and analyze it over several days so that I can identify weaker areas, remove unnecessary subplots, and refine whats left.

I cant wait till this weekend when I may have a couple hours to spend working on this.

hi, read the first OP post with the plot. Summarized, it sounds like that: A straigth A students steals a car from a junkyard.. and because of that, runs from police and becomes a mafia driver. You wanna make it a multiple season TV drama, as I understand.

I think you received already great advice and should follow them, as they all really good for development of your story. I'd focus on few things:

1. Don't think about multiple seasons. Just try to make one good story arc (over the multiple episodes). If you can do just one good season, that's a big achievement. Just concentrate on it.

2. Frankly, the premise is too unbelievable. You gotta change something here, as "straight A" and car stealing just don't mix well. Even adding some superstrong addiction to a particular junk car still doesn't make it believable. If one is so attached to the junk, why he can't buy the same junk from another junkyard?

3. Then you have to add a superstrong attachment to the UNCLE's particular car in order to force the scenario, where Frederick breaks law. But I got an impression that Frederick hardly knew his uncle at all (since he learned about his project cars only after uncle's passing). So why Frederick is so attached to the uncle's car, not clear.

4. Even if Frederick is caught the junk car theft, seriously is it a such a big crime to risk his all life for that? Straight A grades? Would even junkyard report a disappearance of a junk car, which was to be scrapped anyway? Should police even bother with that?

So, I think that any producer would raise such questions from the very first pages. If it is not consistent, all the rest is probably inconsistent as well, or forced or unbelievable either. So my advice would be to rework the script intro at least to make it plausible.

Hello,

All your feedback is greatly appreciated. I am pleasantly surprised that my post has gotten lots of attention recently; I felt like I’d run into a wall and I appreciate all the constructive criticism you have provided to help me direct my attention to weaker areas so that the series as a whole will be more coherent and consistent. Before I give up on the idea of Fred stealing his uncle’s car, I want to give it one last revision, this time with a little more backstory.

Fred is a smart and honest guy with a good work ethic, but he is socially awkward and struggles to adapt to unfamiliar situations. He is an Eagle Scout and college graduate with a 4.0 GPA living with his immediate family, however, he is struggling to get his first job. So, his brother puts in a good word for him at the company he works for and Fred is given a chance to work there. Now, Fred is working a job that he is not particularly good at and that he does not particularly like, but he appreciates the fact that he has a decent-paying job during tough times and that he is building up his resume for greater potential career opportunities in the future. However, Fred makes a few minor mistakes over time that bother his coworkers enough for them to complain about him to the supervisor. Fred tries to be honest about the mistakes and Fred’s brother tries to cover for him, but he winds up on very thin ice. So, when an incident at work occurs that was partially Fred’s fault and a disgruntled coworker pins all the blame on him, Fred loses his job. Fred must now attempt to get a new job during a difficult time and with a blemish on his work record that may be difficult to explain to a potential employer.

Fred goes job-hunting, but it is taking a long time for him to get any responses to his submissions. Around this time, Fred receives news about his uncle passing away during a dinner conversation with his immediate family. At this time, Fred still doesn’t have his own vehicle and he can no longer carpool with his brother since they no longer work together. Since Fred had fond memories of this uncle and his cars (some of which the uncle’s immediate family is trying to get rid of) Fred gets the idea of reaching out to his aunt and trying to buy one that he remembered from his childhood. They negotiate a price and it is nearly all the money Fred has at the time. The aunt’s immediate family wants to get rid of the car as soon as possible, but the aunt says she will hold onto it until he arrives. Fred does not believe that the decision is that irresponsible since he just heard back from a company that he really wants to work for, and he is optimistic that they will hire him after the interview. Fred’s interview is the following Monday, so he figures he can pick up the car a couple days before and make it home in time for the interview. Fred rents a car to drive one-way to North Carolina on Friday and discovers that his aunt had been pressured into selling it to a junkyard by her immediate family and she forgot to inform Fred of the decision.

Since he made the trip all the way to North Carolina, Fred tries to go to the junkyard to buy the car on Saturday. Unfortunately, since it is the weekend, a new guy is working at the junkyard and he doesn’t know if he can sell the car to Fred. The man doesn’t want to break company policy, so he tells Fred to come back on Monday when the owner will be there and that they could probably work something out. Fred becomes desperate. He really wants to save this car but he also doesn’t want to miss his job interview on Monday, so Fred offers the man all the money he has if he can buy the car now. The man declines and says he does not want to risk losing his job and that Monday would be the soonest the manager would be available.

Fred knows that his immediate family would disapprove of him waiting until Monday to buy his uncle’s car with his remaining money while blowing off a promising job opportunity. Fred doubts he could wait until Monday and reschedule the interview, since he knows that several other candidates have applied and that the company will probably not bother considering him if he waits until the day-of to inform the company he can’t make it. Fred also knows that if he saves the car and has no money left over and doesn’t get the job, Fred risks finding himself in a tough spot where he has a car but no money or job. Fred’s sense of optimism vanishes and starts to feel as though the whole world is conspiring against him. He starts to wonder if he even would get the job anyways. So, he becomes furious at the thought of passing up his uncle’s car AND returning home only to be passed over for a job when he could have at least saved the car from getting crushed.

The thought of showing up to his interview on Monday in his uncle’s Thunderbird is now the only thing in the whole world that Fred wants and there is only one way it can be made possible, and it’s not by following the rules and being an honest, all-round good guy like he has been up until this point. So it is at this point that Fred tries to have his cake and eat it too by stealing the car under the cover of darkness and leading his parents to believe that he bought the car from his aunt, like they had planned. All the shenanigans soon follow.

Back