• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Hidden Scene from Harry Potter and The Order of Pheonix

Not a bad job, especially on the wide, though I would add a slight blur (maybe .3 pixels approximately?), and bring up the blacks a bit to really seal the deal on it.

The lighting on the close wasn't bad either; where you ran into trouble more than anything else was with the background. None of the shots from order of the phoenix used that shallow of a depth of field, so the backgrounds being the heavily crushed winds up being very jarring. Other than that, maybe pull back just slightly on the reds in the midtones, and you should have a convincing and quality scene.

The only problem I see with the CU is that the fill side of the face is brighter than in the original shots (and the key perhaps a bit dark)... more contrast on the face would have matched it better... but the lighting is wonderfully delicate in both as stand alone lightings.

Thanks everyone!

knightly - I used a 650w ARRI open face with a REALLY BIG softbox, I think it's like 6 ft (one of the few perks of film school) for the key and had a reflector bouncing it back at her for a fill. I also had some CTB on the softbox...

I love using that softbox, but it's a mess getting it set up.. especially since I could fit inside :P

As for the DOF on the CU, the reason the background is super blurred is because I had no CU footage to put behind her, so I took the wide shot and blew it up, and put a blur to disguise the pixels This was really fun... if you haven't done it, you should try

Light leaving a bounce will have a feathered edge that you could use as a darker fill by tilting the bounce off perpendicular to the talent/light angle of incidence (or move the reflector back farther using the inverse square dimmer). I'm impressed with how well that blow up worked for the CU :)

One of the ways to get consistency between shots is to use a meter to record your key/fill ratio so you can repeat it in each setup as a numerical thing rather than an eyeball thing.

Back