Hi! My name is... What?! My name is... Who?! My name is

Watched your great short film "The Awful Kind". Was that your first film? What's the back story behind the completion of it?

It was a very well done film for your first, which has me thinking you got some experience prior. Either that, or you are naturally gifted and going places.

Watched your great short film "The Awful Kind". Was that your first film? What's the back story behind the completion of it?

It was a very well done film for your first, which has me thinking you got some experience prior. Either that, or you are naturally gifted and going places.

Hey! Thank you! Im happy you liked it! Backstory? Well, my experience prior was ripping tickets at a movie theater and working at Blockbuster, so I watched everything! But, that was when my interests were entirely on acting. I studied acting for years and then after not booking any auditions I decided to do my own thing. I directed a short in 2016 "SCHISM" with a 3K budget. I wrote/directed/acted in it. It took me a year to sort that film out in post production and THAT essentially became my film school. We even tried shooting a oner on that and failed miserably. We got into a festival and I took that as a bit of a sign to keep moving forward.

As I was trying to figure out what I wanted to do next, I shot a series of shorts on GTA Online using people playing around the world as actors and the editing software built in-game. One of our videos was a runner up in a competition. I can't honestly tell you how much I learned about directing from Grand Theft Auto.
(BATMAN VILLAINS IN GTA)

The Awful Kind was interesting because it sort-of kept reinventing itself. There was no outline. I didn't know how I wanted it to unfold. After a couple drafts it was suggested that I try shooting the whole thing in one take. During that time, #metoo and Time's Up unfolded and that got me thinking about how EASY it is for me as a white male, to write a movie about a bunch of white men in a room solving a problem. I became obsessed with exploring life in 19th century America from different cultural backgrounds, or what it was like to be a woman in those days. I researched everything I could to bring all of those colors into the same melting pot. I wrote out each characters autobiography, I even wrote the train robbery and a brief history for the abandoned trading post they were in.

When it came to shooting, to me it was just a play and the camera was a character. It was no different than what we all did in acting class together twice a week. I felt more comfortable shooting a oner than I did setting up the perfect frame. From what I saw in westerns, I knew how I wanted it to look and feel, for example: The film begins and ends like "The Searchers (1956)" through the silhouette of a door frame, the title credits in the beginning are inspired by "Once Upon a Time in the West (1968)". All of these little nuances help establish a familiar feeling the western genre ALREADY created years and years ago. This mixed with trusting my love for movies carried me through this process and now, well, here we are.

Back