Hi, I'm Jozsef

Hi everyone,

my name is Jozsef (~Joe / Joseph).
I am 31-years old mechanical engineer from Budapest, Hungary.

I have been flirting with filmmaking, directing for 2,5 years.

I always had a creative side in me (learning to play on flute and piano as a child for years, singing, freehand drawing, even writing poems)

I would like to start making short films, but I don't know where to start. I bought already a couple of books, some of them I've read as well.
"On film directing" by David Mamet was for me really interesting, straightforward and eye-opening about writing a story step by step.

On the other hand, I have a strong interest in cinematography. Even in my fantasy, making nice, slow beautiful camera movements with a proper rhythm of cuts excites me as well. Already the process of thinking about different scenes after each other keeps my brain excited. I'm not sure, whether I express myself clearly.

The third field, which I find interesting is the developing story via a storyboard. I have already a good skill of drawing, but rather with an engineering focus.

Last, I am stuck with buying a proper camera for a long time. I have been flirting with Canon Eos 80D, but maybe it's a bit too expensive for a newbie.

As you can see, I have rather a couple of fields of interests, and some not so sharp ideas, emotions.

What I have done so far:
- taking part two years ago on a one-week camp about photography/filmmaking
- applying to one storytelling challenge (concept, script book, storyboard)
- I bought a couple of books.
- I started watching older, "classic" "must see" movies as well.

I know, the most important thing would be analysing less and just doing it! Learning from my own mistakes and gaining experience.

How would you decide what to pursue?
How would you start your journey as a filmmaker?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Regards,
Jozsef / Joe / Joseph

Welcome Jozsef. I dont know what you should peruse.... Your a mechanical engineer... do you like it?

If I was you I would find some 48hour projects and start making stuff....

Back