Hi from Surrey BC

I started in 16mm doing stop motion experiments and a bit of backyard live action filmmaking.
I eventually went into other non film related things although I was still drawn to film.

When I tried computer graphics(initially because I heard it was possible to get a job in it :) I decided this would be great for filmmaking on a micro budget.

6 years and many strange adventures later(including an ambitious film project that I took through pre production before having to shelve it--very dramatic experience) I still dont have a job in cg but I did complete my first animation experiment, which was also my first film project since the mid 90s. Worked about as well as I hoped--my learning process was very slow and patient--I avoided jumping ahead so I wouldnt get distracted and when it came time to render out my final animation it was a bit nerve wracking. 3 separate computer failures that almost erased all my data. Luckily my backups worked. Now I can see how the CG pieces all fit together.

I have started with after effects which is a lot quicker to learn than cg software. And playing around with sound which is fun too.

I am planning to do some more test shots and expand my knowledge of the digital workflow and then look at doing something live action.
I havent had any luck with recruiting after many ads and attempts so chances are I may have to work completely alone, which I find a bit intimidating-since most people I have encountered doing things at least have one other person helping behind the scenes. A producer/relative/friend etc.

But whatever the case I will take it as far as I can. Hopefully it wont take another 6 plus years to do something interesting. :)

Kelly G

That's pretty cool. :cool:

Wouldn't mind seeing some footage, if you've done the ol' YouTube with any of it, or the like. :)

Just the cg shot experiment. My older things only exist online in still frames that i took from the projected image.

Youtube

or

Site

I make changes to it and re-render frames here and there. I would like to add a heat haze effect and some other things, but there's no stopping once you start fixing it. As an animation practice it served its purpose.

I will use it to practice in after effects though.

You've got some crazy-cool stuff on your site! :yes:

Looks like Ray Harryhausen must have been a big influence on you.

Yep Harryhausen was probably the biggest. Especially for skeletons. I cant get enough of animated skeletons and would have done one as my first cg shot but animating flame is tricky. But once I get the hang of it... hehe. Thanks for the kind words and welcome.
:)

Last edited:
Back