Hi everyone.

Hi all,

I'm new here (as you might of guessed :D), and just like to say hi to everyone. My name is Michael, and I'm from Wales. As far as film making goes, I'm just a very keen amateur at the moment. I pretty much think about film all day long (even when I should be working), and lately, some of my plans are starting to come to fruition, so it's quite an exciting time. However, being a total novice, I'm going to be needing some guidance, and was hoping I could get that here? :)

Anyways, just a quick hi to everyone!

Thanks,

Mike

Well, you've picked a great thing to get into. Exciting, trying, rewarding, thankless...it's all over the place--and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Get yourself some nice equipment to start...a good $1K HD cam...a handful of lighting rigs...a handmade dolly situation...and good computer...some editing software, and boom you're golden.

If you very serious about this...you can start a decent indie production house with around $15K.

Thanks for the welcome :D

Well, in the long run, I've been looking at getting a Sony HDR-SR12E camera. Would this be a good move?

For now, I'll just be using a DVD camera jsut to get some recording done to practice editing. Oh yeah, the software I bought I Sony Vegas Movie Studio 9 Platinum Pro Pack. I feel a bit out of my depth at the moment, but I am learning slowly. I think it's best to learn the software before I spend a lot on better equipment, or is this wrong?

I think it's a personal thing. Whatever you're comfortable with doing; you can wait to buy better stuff or you can go ahead and do it now.

I've always been the type to dive in head first and get the best I can afford.

The main thing I think everyone here would agree on though is that the best way to learn is by doing it. The more films you make, the better you are going to get. I feel like I get a little better each day.

I've made a lot of mistakes along the way, but they were all great learning experiences.

I'm usually the dive in head on type, but I've recently bought a house, and have to be a bit more careful with my money. Shame really :D

Yeah, I'm definitely gonna make a lot of mistakes, but a lot of the fun is in the learning to I find. Cant wait now.

Thanks guys!

Back