Hi! and... Help!??

Hi everyone just thought I'd introduce myself and ask for some advice at the same time.

I've been dipping in and out of indietalk now for a while and thought it was about time i actually registered! :D I have been working as an editor (FCP) as well as doing the odd bit of motion graphics (AE+PS) for a media company based in Cambridge for the last 3 years now BUT...

I'm now wondering what the base way to move on is? My main problem is 99.8% of video/films that i edit are adult and i REALLY want to get out of this side of the video industry and get my teeth into some serious projects as its impossible to build up any kind of portfolio with this kind of work :no:

Sooooooo any suggestions are more than welcome!??

Yeah, for sure don't put together a reel :lol:

It won't be as hard as an actor trying to cross over. What you should do is keep all of your experience on paper (resume), hopefully the companies don't have adult names (if so, no biggie). For a reel, cut some stuff together on your own. Maybe you can team up with a DP who wants to build a reel. You get good footage, and in return, edit his reel.

Yea exactly i keep trying to explain to my friends that as much as they would enjoy such a reel its not going to help me move on! lol. Thats some really sound advice I'm going to have to put out a search for some collaborations!

In the meantime i do have access to a Sony HDV camera that although not exactly my first choice shoots in reasonable 1080i60 and 1080i50. So I'm currently trying to convince some friends to get involved in some kind of video production, however I'm finding being a one man production crew tricky haha

Do what the rest of us do (did). Take on projects for free and work your way up.
Well he's been getting paid for 3 years, so I would not suggest working for free. He's been working in FCP, just because it's been adult doesn't mean he can't find work.

One thing you can do is try to find work as an assistant editor, and work your way up in that company.

Adult films have drama-esque parts to them, couldn't you build a reel from some of those parts? Or are those not the kind of adult videos you've been working on?

There are very small number of 'drama-esque' parts but not really enough to use in an effective way but i certainly like the positive thinking =)

Although I'm looking to find some more serious content to edit for my main reel I might have a look at if i could possibly put together a short secondary reel to reflect the work I've been doing for the past three years (using the clothed scenes as you suggested) just to support what I've been doing. I think most people would appreciate the humor if done right? haha

Here in Los Angeles, with a very liberal, open-minded population,
there is almost no cross over from the adult industry. There is a
stigma attached to the adult industry - even here. In a way,
there is really no need to cross over. Here there is enough money
and enough work that editors (and crew) don’t need to leave that
business.

I suspect that even the clothed scenes aren’t of excellent
quality, right? Not a lot of coverage to edit so nothing really
there to show off your talent as an editor.

I know a few people who do free work on “legit” movies to build
their resume and reel while keeping their day job as they make
the transition. I see no real reason you should at least give
that a try.

I can see that if you were only interested in the money then there would be no reason to cross over. However I never wanted to work in this Industry It just happened that I'd finished education, had a couple of small time graphic jobs then suddenly got offered an editors job on a decent wage, so obviously I jumped at the chance! lol

The adult content has never really been an attraction for me, I don't get to work on set (nor would i want too) I just deal with the post production side of things. Your right about the quality both in the sense of format and acting haha but thats not to say it hasn't been good experience so far.

I certainly don't have a problem with working for free on the side to get to where I need to be, I think it goes with out saying you have to put in serious effort it you expect to get anything out of the Industry. My biggest problem is sourcing where to actually get hold of some "legit" work to do for free lol.

Last edited:
Back