Hey Everyone - What Do I Do Next?

I'm glad I found this forum. Just after reading through a few threads I've started learning. I can tell there's so much to learn and keep learning. I can't wait to further my knowledge. I can tell there's a lot of experienced and helping people here.

Now, back to relating to the title... I've recently become interested in writing feature length screenplays. I've brainstormed two ideas, but only have just started loosely laying them out, not even starting the actual script. Is it good to try to condense everything into 4-8 pages and then turn them into the full screenplay, or should I just write the screenplay as it comes to mind?

It's clear that I'm interested full screenplays. But, I also am interested in writing my own shorts, and actually making them myself. My friends and I have made some YouTube videos, but nothing serious. I liked the whole aspect of creating a story, then making it come together of myself. But, I don't have the funds for nice equipment and it seems like I'll have a hard time breaking out from unknown shorts, and creating a popular short or maybe even a feature film.

Do I try both? Do I focus on just writing? Do I have a chance at breaking out and making a career out of either path?

I've brainstormed two ideas, but only have just started loosely laying them out, not even starting the actual script. Is it good to try to condense everything into 4-8 pages and then turn them into the full screenplay, or should I just write the screenplay as it comes to mind?

Both.

Here's my process, you don't have to do this by the way.... First the idea comes to mind... then I let it percolate, thinking about it as I live my life, and pretend this is a real movie I'm watching... I write down on whatever paper/napkin/wal-mart receipt available, and keep every idea together... once I'm confident I have most of the movie thought out (at least in my mind) I write a complete plot synopsis, scene by scene, what happens in that scene, and important notes... once that is complete, after a few weeks, I sit down and write my first draft... Things come to mind while writing and the whole movie could change, but I at least feel confident if I work that way. I've only written three screenplays this way, only one is in pre-production, and am currently in the "coming up with ideas" phase of a fourth one, and I can guarantee that this process works... I've written one screenplay without this process and it was terrible, it felt like I had writer's block.

That's an interesting process mussonman, it's good you have found something that works for you :)

Artificial - If you are interested in writing screenplays for shorts I recommend that you begin by doing just that. Short films are a good way to test your writing skills to come up with a story that will hold people's interests and deliver a satisfying experience.

But don't stop wanting to write feature scripts either.

My method of writing is like this:

For some ideas I come up with the story and if I feel like I have something to go and jump straight into I will go ahead and start on the script immediately because I have in my mind already how I want things to start, progress and end.

However sometimes I really do need to sit down and plot out a scene outline to work out the path the story will take. I would absolutely use this method for writing a feature though.

I have found with my own work that the more scripts I write the better I become and the better the ideas become.

Thanks everyone for the insight. I think I've got an idea for a short that I like, and that might be like-able.

Now, I've just gotta start putting it on paper(or celtx in this case).

Celtx is a great program, I enjoy using it. What I like about it is it's simplicity in being user-friendly and the interface of the program.

I don't have the funds for nice equipment

Find some filmmaking friends who have some nice equipment. Work on some of their projects, and call in return favours when you're ready to shoot your own. Who says you have to own your own gear?

it seems like I'll have a hard time breaking out (...)

Luckily, you know how to work hard... right? :hmm:

Find some filmmaking friends who have some nice equipment. Work on some of their projects, and call in return favours when you're ready to shoot your own. Who says you have to own your own gear?

Luckily, you know how to work hard... right? :hmm:

How would one go about networking to find fellow filmmakers in the area to befriend? Is there a site or anything for that?

Of course, a hard work never hurts and can go a long way.

Back