Help

My English class is making a production of The Diary of Anne Frank. Now, I'm a total cinemaphile and know a lot about film making, and have made some shorts in the past. But because I come off as sort of a nerd, and the Director was chosen by election, they elected a popular girl instead of me. I know that I could do a much better job, and just to give you an example, I told her that I could be the DP, and she didn't know what that was. I told her that it meant Director of Photography, and she still didn't know what that meant. What should I do?

It's nothing to lose sleep over. If you're doing votes by popularity and are dealing with people that don't understand filmmaking, then it's probably a project that you're making just for fun, and to get a better understand of the book. If it matters that much to you, you could get some friends together outside of school and shoot your version of it, then show it in class.

Have fun with it. Don't sweat it. You'll have plenty of future opportunities to pursue filmmaking.

Grab a copy of How to Win Friends and Influence People. Read it and try out the advice.

Like chimp said, don't sweat this one. School is school and seems like the whole world now, but you can just go do what you want, make your own movies.

Alternatively, if you have a decent camera and know how to use it, just show up with it at school tomorrow. Maybe bring a flash drive with something good you shot. Then making you DP will be their idea.

What should I do?
Help her.

Win her friendship and her respect by offering your knowledge of
film making. Be a good mentor to her. It will be very difficult, but
do everything you can to suppress your desire to "prove" you are
the better choice as the director. Be the best DP you can be. Allow
her to guide the actors while you guide the crew to give her exactly
what she needs to make the movie better.

You face a very difficult challenge. Are you up to it?

Back