Help...

We've tried for 3 years to build an audience for our films, but we still keep getting the measly little 20-400 views. We've worked long and hard making films for people's amusement, but it seems as if we're not getting anywhere. Please help us out. We have never known how to properly get our stuff out there. We've asked many people, but still nothing. Please, give us a try, and please share our films if you like them.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DiemondProductions?feature=mhee
please help us out

Thanks

-DiemondProductions

Well I don't want to be harsh, but the first step to start making a professional looking short. No selfrespecting magazine will give a positive review of a mediocre looking short.

Personally I thought your stories were quite entertaining, you really need to up the production values. It doesn't need to cost a whole lot to do so, you can improve pretty much everything just by spending more time on it.

I watched warp cops, and that could have been a lot better if you had spend more time on good locations, actors and effects. To me, it looked like it was filmed right outside the house, without any effort for a good location, no effort made in lighting, and horrible fx.

If you want to make a quality film: prepare. Plan your scenes, plan your locations, plan your lighting, plan your equipment needs. Don't cast the same 15 year olds in every role, get some older people involved, rent some costumes etc. it will make your film believable and look more professional. Also, plan your fx, if you can't pull them off in such a manner that they are invisible to the public, write them out. Its better to have none than to have bad ones, they break the immersion.

Once you have quality material, you'll get more people, and magazines, interested.

Last edited:
Well I don't want to be harsh, but the first step to start making a professional looking short. No selfrespecting magazine will give a positive review of a mediocre looking short.

Personally I thought your stories were quite entertaining, you really need to up the production values. It doesn't need to cost a whole lot to do so, you can improve pretty much everything just by spending more time on it.

I watched warp cops, and that could have been a lot better if you had spend more time on good locations, actors and effects. To me, it looked like it was filmed right outside the house, without any effort for a good location, no effort made in lighting, and horrible fx.

If you want to make a quality film: prepare. Plan your scenes, plan your locations, plan your lighting, plan your equipment needs. Don't cast the same 15 year olds in every role, get some older people involved, rent some costumes etc. it will make your film believable and look more professional. Also, plan your fx, if you can't pull them off in such a manner that they are invisible to the public, write them out. Its better to have none than to have bad ones, they break the immersion.

Once you have quality material, you'll get more people, and magazines, interested.

Amen to that brother!

Are you going to give him the money to implement your suggestions?

Any self funded production will not come out as planned or as good as the executive producer hoped. Both magazines and studio execs knows this.

Google independent film magazines and go to their web sites and look for the contact information of the publisher and editors and send out query emails asking for a review.

There are lots of books on how to write query letters from The Writers Store in California. Google their web site.

As Brian Syner of The X-Men recommended new filmmakers should partner up with more experienced filmmakers to help them over the hurdles of productions.

Last edited:

Production value and good locations are difficult to get where I live, Believe me, I've tried. However, I think the best I've done location-wise might've been my film: Forbidden Talents. Which was in San Francisco. I am trying, and I know I'm not doing the best I can...sadly. But I'm planning to start a closet full of clothing and other materials needed for a better believable film. I sadly can't use other people in my films. Nobody else wants to be in them but us. I know they suck, but I yell at them all the time for sucking, and we end up doing 6 takes for every line because every one of them sound so mediocre and boring. I can't replace them though...My FX I've been working on since the day I started putting my stuff on youtube. I have no Idea how to make them better. No matter what I do, they always come out looking cheesy and weird. I wish there was some way I could find out how to make them look better. Thanks for the comment man. I'll try harder

Back