Help with steadicam

Hello guys. I'll buy a tripod but i also want to have a steadicam. I was looking for Merlin but that's too expensive for me. So i found this one:

http://www.balvanzenterprises.com/MiniDVStabilizer.html

Do you guys think it's a good choice?

thanks.

You get what you pay for and, at $100, I wouldn't expect much. Using washers for weights is an added pain. I suspect this thing might be so difficult to balance your frustration alone may prevent you from learning how to use it correctly.

I throw that money toward a better tripod.

CamVader thanks.

What if i save money for a Merlin Steadicam? Will worth it? thanks

It depends on how much you use it. For most folks, it takes about a year to get reliably good shots and be somewhat proficient. There are books that help a great deal.

It's hard to get pro results with a small stabilizer and a light camera and the Merlin is probably the best, but the same rule applies.

Thanks. I'll go for Merlin. To be honest i'm not a big fan of tripods as i prefer handheld shots and have free movement with the camcorder that's why i'll probably go for Merlin but i see that i really need do practice a lot.

Last edited:
Psychosis Media appreciate that, thanks.

Nate North but you mean for tracking shots ? I use tripod but for the static shots. Thank you

Not to dissuade you, but what I meant is that if your budget is very limited, it would be a better investment to by a really solid tripod, (which obviously does not do good tracking shots) rather than a cheap tripod and a cheap stedicam.

I went out to try and find a cheap stedicam too, but when I asked if the 3 grand knock off was ok, I got back like 50 responses of "doesn't work, buy the real thing" from the pro film boards.

Maybe the merlin would be ok for you, it depends somewhat on the weight of your camera.

Nate North thanks. I dont have the camcorder yet but it will be a Canon HF S20.

I have the money for the camcorder but i'll save in the future for a Merlin. There's a lot of steadicams online at cheap prices but i see that they're all bull****.

Back