HELP NEEDED WITH SHOT LIST for short film

I’m getting close to making my second no-budget short film. I’ve been visiting indietalk now for three years and have learned a lot, even though I have much more to learn. My first film was a zombie movie with a Don’t Do Drugs message targeting teens. This next project is a Dark Haunting Ghost story with a Don’t Drink and Drive message. Anyway I have a script, I have most locations locked down with the others close to securing. I have a talented DP, a Special Makeup and Effects Artist, an editor, crew, and most of the cast.

I just cannot figure out how to create a short list. I hoping that one you experienced filmmakers will help me out with this. Of course I will give you screen credit. Email me, brucedowns@gmail.com if you are interested in helping. Once I have the shot list I will use it for the film as well as use it as a learning tool for future projects. Thanks, Bruce

In all honesty, a shot list can be a very simple thing:

Master
MW 2-shot
OTS perspective 1
OTS perspective 2
CU actor 1
CU actor 2
Ultra-CU actor 1
Ultra-CU actor 2
CU prop 1
CU prop 2
Cutaway (cat in window)

That would be a very basic shot list. Of course it gets more complicated as the scene gets more complicated, I'm just illustrating that there actually can be a rather generic way of going about this.

From there, you can add more specific shots, more creative shots that each have a very specific motivation. There are some filmmakers who do nothing but shoot in this manner, and God bless them.

For an inexperienced filmmaker, I really think maximum coverage is the way to go. Get all your generic shots that would qualify as maximum coverage. Then, go ahead and get the creative shots that are more cool, and more fun.

The reason I suggest this is because in the beginning, if you go for minimum coverage, you're probably going to have a very difficult time cutting the scene together. Being able to shoot a scene that cuts together well takes practice, and shooting for maximum coverage both helps you learn this skill, and helps cover the tracks of any mistakes that you're likely to make. :)

Also, make sure to include ultra-closeups on your list (they can function like a cutaway).

Scene 1

OK. Below is the scene. Not sure how to shoot this scene because of all the V.O.'s. I'm assuming I record the V.O. dialog first and time it so i will know how much I need to pick-up. Also, another question typically it's a minute of video per script page. Much of the script has V.O. work is it still a minute per page? Or would i expect it to be shorter? Again Thanks.

INT. AA ROOM NIGHT

A dimly lit room, smoke filled, people sitting around at tables as a man stands.

This is DAVID. He is a white male in his mid 30’s though looks much older and exhausted, as if he hasn’t slept in
weeks.

DAVID
Hi, my name is David and I’m an
alcoholic.

David pauses as the room responds with a “Hi David”.

DAVID (V.O.)
Its a lie. (beat) its the same lie
I told every evening. I stood up
and gave my first name to a bunch
of strangers in a meeting that was
supposed to be anonymous and then I
would talk about something in my
life that related to whatever the
topic of the evening was. It was
ridiculous. There would, of course,
be some wise ass sitting in the
back room waiting for me to say
something that they could use to
make themselves look better.

An older man nods at David and interrupts.

AA MAN
Everything’s going to be all right.

A woman sits a few seats away and is sewing the entire time, not listening to David speak, but looks up from what she is doing.

AA WOMAN
It’s Gods will sweetie. We’ve all
been there.

DAVID (V.O.)
Yes, my name is David, but I am not
an alcoholic, in fact I rarely ever
drink, not any more anyway.

FADE OUT.

That's my struggle. I can show AA members reaction to what David’s talk although the audience cannot hear what he is saying. AA members getting coffee, lady sewing, movement around the room, David speaking, etc.

Get as many shots (or as few) as you want..

How do you plan to cover this scene..?

It could be done in one long dolly/steadicam shot that captures everything mentioned. Or, it could be captured in 10 shots.

I'm thinking of short shorts from David's POV. I'm guessing i need to have the actor do the V.O. work first so i can time it. Then i will know how much i need to film to cover the V.O. time. A few over the sholuder shots from the AA members looking at David.

Back