HELP NEEDED AND APPRECIATED

I NEED HELP MAKING A MONTAGE ABOUT A KID WHO IS LONELY BECAUSE HIS ROOMMATE LEFT HIM. HOW SHOULD I DO THIS? ANY IDEAS FOR WHAT OUR CHARACTER SHOULD DO? HOW SHOULD I FILM IT? WHAT SHOTS SHOULD I USE?
HELP GREATLY APPRECIATED.

STOP SHOUTING! IT MAKES THINGS DIFFICULT TO READ.

Before we start offering suggestions why don't you tell us what you have in mind and what you already have penciled in. If you want to be a filmmaker these are exactly the kinds of problems/situations that you will have to do often. A few generic suggestions...

Watch films that have montages.

Write a list of the characters feelings and memories.

List possible reactions to the characters feelings and memories.

Act it out your self in front of a mirror or the camera.

some ideas

you could have some shots of the kid doing things alone that he used to do with his roommate, like maybe eating breakfast or playing pool, you can show him staring at a chess board or a ping pong table, or some other two person games. He could be watching TV with a glum look on his face. have him staring in an empty room. You can also do some flash back scenes of them actually playing the games or having breakfast or watching TV laughing together, just to contrast the alone scenes and make feel more lonely. some gloomy music could help too or even silence with the sound of a ticking clock in the background.

GOOD LUCK!! ;)

Last edited:
What do you think of when you think of lonelyness?
What sounds do you hear when you are alone?

Make a list, those are all things the camera can look at and the audience can hear. We've all been lonely, it's not a unique thing, so if you can show things that make you feel/think lonely, it's most likely that other people will react similarly.

As for the fact that you might want to just add an interesting element, you could film someone watching who is also alone, so really, in the end, they aren't alone at all, just one of them doesn't know it.

The easiest way to get your point (loneliness) across is to use contrast. I assume that earlier in the film you showed your main guy hanging out with his roommate and just generally enjoying his roommates company and character.

The montage should then show a very lonely and solitary person who tries to keep himself occupied performing actions that he used to do with his roommate. He pretends it's as enjoyable but the viewer can see that his new reality falls short to what he had before with his roommate.

Back