Help Me Help You! Looking for film(s) to distribute! Success Guaranteed.

Moderator Note: This is the discussion portion of this thread... there is also a classifieds portion... please keep the discussion of this business strategy here and leave the classified post for inquiries about the distribution offer.

Hello all, this is my first post as you can all see. First and foremost I'd like to say that you guys have a great community here. To the admin, nice site!

I'll get straight to the point. First and foremost my bold claim in the title "Success Guaranteed". Reason being I'm currently looking for an indie filmmaker whom I can purchase a license from to sell your film as 4,000 units.

I'm looking for HD material only. Preferably a movie, but a great documentary could sway otherwise. The film would be put onto blu-ray and again our license from you would be to sell 4k units only.

-the title would have to be over 1 hr in length
-HD quality
-special features etc a plus
-Quality, quality... quality.

You can post youtube trailers in this thread or PM me them. If interested we can discuss further.

Do you have a film that is good/great and you just want to get it OUT THERE! Haven't had the finances of getting it pressed up NICELY? We're interested in checking it out! We have promotional tools already in place and the movie we choose will sell!

Perhaps this is THE opportunity for you. And as I'm not accustomed to the quality of films this community is representative of perhaps it could open the door for more ventures with more filmmakers as if the first is as successful as we plan then we'd be looking to continue to work with more filmmakers.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. He said that it's "none of your business" as regards to how much money they are putting into the project. You would get the same reply from pretty much any distributor or broadcaster. I certainly would not broadcast the cost price of my services and I know of very few businesses (of any type) which would want that information made public. The details of what s/he's willing to pay for a licence, the details of the licence itself, sales figures, demographics ect., have already either been posted or are up for discussion (privately).

2. S/He has not refused to give his/her website link and in fact has done so. S/He has just refused to post the website link publicly for which there could be several valid reasons and again, in his/her position I might well do the same.

The only thing Salacious' first post in this thread sums up perfectly to me is how NOT to get into the film business!!!

Contrary to Salacious' post, in the first instance it is the vendor of products who has to gain the trust of the potential customer, NOT the other way around. This is a simple and basic tenet of business. I am not suggesting that a filmmaker blindly sign a licence deal without being sure of who they are signing a deal with or without being sure of the exact details of that deal. But, in the first instance it is the filmmaker with the product to sell and insulting and swearing at a potential customer demonstrates gross ignorance of doing business in the film industry or indeed in any industry!!!

Without any evidence to the contrary, 2Cents represents a potential customer to at least some IT members. There are tens of thousands of people with film products to sell and relatively few buyers, it's without doubt a buyer's market. If I were 2Cents I would never come back to indietalk again.

It's entirely possible that 2Cents is legitimate and that due to a few ignorant people some other indietalk members' prospects of ROI have been harmed or ruined. If I were an indietalk moderator, truly interested in helping the indie filmmaking community, I would be writing a few stern PMs to some of the posters in this thread.

G

Maybe in America it's different, but in England if I approach you and I say I can make you a success then you ask me who I am, I do everything I can to show what a great businessman I am.

Not saying your wrong but the mindset is completely different to what your talking about.

Maybe I watch too much dragons den coz for sure 2cents would have heard "I'm out" by all 4 dragons within 3 seconds.

As theo once said (dragon) you come here selling a service, you don't say how much it's made, what it could earn, nor present it's history, yet you come in and assure us it's fantastic.

For sure he said pm me your trailer and il give you the details, but who is this person I merely asked for one link and in my eyes anyone with half a brain would post just one link.

There's a thing called pride and I refuse to work with anyone that doesn't present themselves clearly to me.

Pm or no pm I should have a good idea who this person is before sending them something especially if they want my product, that will make them money.

None of this is being said as a moderator, it's from the standpoint of an angry/insulted community member since 2006:

Uh, dude. People asked for proof and he not only provided none
He provided links to people in PMs... including myself. He also provided enough information for you to google his efforts if you so choose (business terms 101: "due diligence") by doing a little leg work. Avoiding the search engines by making you search for it the way one would have done 10-15 years ago (post internet, pre-yahoo/google grabbing EVERYTHING you post good or bad ... still easier than the same effort pre-internet).

Salacious's first post in this thread sums it up perfectly.
To me, it sums up that 8S9 hasn't dealt with many startups before. It's also a bad reflection on our community that we've become so mistrusting that we are willing to potentially shoo away legitimate offers to start making money off of our projects to begin to recoupe some of our associated production costs.

If you're in this to make art or as a Hobby, this post isn't for you, ignore it, walk away. If you want to make money and help defray the costs of your next production, you should be welcoming the offer Your accusations of BS are based on as much evidence as you accuse the OP of giving out... possibly less as I've seen the previous efforts and they're not small endeavors.

I'm sorry you're unwilling to look at the OPs profile page and do your research, but don't post libelous statements on here because 2 clicks and a google search is too much effort. You're statements reflect poorly on the community I choose to be part of here on the internet. It's insulting to me personally.

Last edited:
Maybe I watch too much dragons den coz for sure 2cents would have heard "I'm out" by all 4 dragons within 3 seconds.

2Cents would be one of the dragons in this case... the filmmakers would be approaching him. You're looking at this as if you're the one holding the money... wrong way about; anti-clockwise.

2Cents would be one of the dragons in this case... the filmmakers would be approaching him. You're looking at this as if you're the one holding the money... wrong way about; anti-clockwise.

Firstly I would know who the dragons are, because they freely tell us about themselves, so I would walk in and not have a clue who he was what money he has made, how good he is at representing, or anything for that matter.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm the one with the product, he's the one selling so he needs a product to make money, why would I give my project to someone who could ruin my image based upon no proof of his business?

Also he approached the forum, didnt reply in a business like way (in my opinion).

Some people agree with my views, you obviously don't, doesn't mean that I'm wrong, doesn't mean your wrong, maybe you like dealing with people who act like that, I certainly do not and never will.

But hey if he's legit good for you, I just don't see why in this SCENARIO I should make the effort it's not like I approached him begging to take my film.

2. S/He has not refused to give his/her website link and in fact has done so. S/He has just refused to post the website link publicly for which there could be several valid reasons

No. There is not.

The only thing Salacious' first post in this thread sums up perfectly to me is how NOT to get into the film business!!!

This isn't an offer to get into the film business, I really don't see where you are getting that idea. If it were, the person who initiated the contact WOULD BEGIN BY TELLING PEOPLE EVERYTHING ABOUT HIM

I'm not saying that he is a fraud. I simply asked him in the beginning to prove otherwise. Since it didn't happen, my skepticism hasn't changed.

All I know for certain is, if my feature film was complete, I would not PM this guy based solely on his lack of information and utter refusal to provide any publicly.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm the one with the product, he's the one selling so he needs a product to make money, why would I give my project to someone who could ruin my image based upon no proof of his business?

OK, I will correct you, you are wrong! 2Cents is the one with the money offering to be the buyer, you are the seller. If you are paranoid of a potential customer ruining your image, an image which you don't even have yet (!), don't send him your trailer but then I'm bound to ask two things: 1. Do you even know what a trailer is for and why filmmakers make them? 2. How do you ever expect to get any customers if you insult them before you even know who they are or what they are offering?

For sure he said pm me your trailer and il give you the details, but who is this person I merely asked for one link and in my eyes anyone with half a brain would post just one link. There's a thing called pride and I refuse to work with anyone that doesn't present themselves clearly to me.

Sure the OP was a little cagey, which is entirely normal in the business world and even more so in the film industry. Frequently one has to sign a contract (NDA) before one knows anything about a project and it's not uncommon to have to sign that contract with a holding company or some other entity set up just for that project which therefore doesn't have any background, even if you could be bothered to look, which you couldn't. The chances of you being a professional filmmaker are slim enough as it is but you seem determined to make sure that you NEVER work in the film industry!

But hey if he's legit good for you, I just don't see why in this SCENARIO I should make the effort it's not like I approached him begging to take my film.

However ignorant and short-sighted I think it is, it's your right not to "make the effort" even though you don't have any evidence that the OP is not legit. However, you don't have the right to insult the OP and sabotage the potential opportunity for other indietalk members! If you don't believe the OP is legit, go and get some proof, then you can publicly rip 2Cents a new one and everyone here will thank you for it. In the meantime, please show some respect and consideration for other indietalk members!

I hope that 2Cents doesn't broadcast to his/her online community what a bunch of a$$holes indietalk's members are, in his/her place I might be angry enough and sorely tempted! I also hope that Knightly or some other mod can write an apologetic message to 2Cents and try to repair some of the damage to indietalk's reputation done by a few ignorant and selfish members.

G

"S/He has just refused to post the website link publicly for which there could be several valid reasons" No. There is not.

The first thing one has to do when selling something is to put oneself in the shoes of the potential buyer. Surely you must know this lesson 101 of business? The OP runs websites for movie collectors, the last thing I would want is a load of indietalkers spamming a bunch of terrible films to my paying members. I'm not saying that indietalk members make terrible films or that they are a bunch of spammers but the OP doesn't know that. In his place I would do the same thing and only give out my web address to indietalkers I had some intention of doing business with. If indietalkers aren't happy with that fine, if I'm a buyer with up front money, there are thousands of others who would jump at the chance and it would be no skin off my nose to move on.

This isn't an offer to get into the film business, I really don't see where you are getting that idea.

Just because you are too short sighted to see an opportunity, doesn't mean there isn't one! The OP has already stated that 2 of their sites are well respected in the industry and that they have very good connections with foreign movie studios. As yet, neither you nor anyone else has provided any evidence that either of these statements are false and either of them could represent a potential pathway into the industry. There is certainly no way to be sure they don't represent an opportunity at this stage and in a marketplace as competitive as filmmaking every potential opportunity must be explored but it seems that not only are some not willing to put in the necessary effort but are actively trying to ruin it for those who are!

If it were, the person who initiated the contact WOULD BEGIN BY TELLING PEOPLE EVERYTHING ABOUT HIM .. All I know for certain is, if my feature film was complete, I would not PM this guy based solely on his lack of information and utter refusal to provide any publicly.

I refer you to the 2nd and 3rd paragraphs of my last post and the fact that you obviously have no experience of how the film industry works! Good luck trying to make a career the film business but as it takes much more than luck, I don't have high hopes with an attitude like this!

G

OK, I will correct you, you are wrong! 2Cents is the one with the money offering to be the buyer, you are the seller. If you are paranoid of a potential customer ruining your image, an image which you don't even have yet (!), don't send him your trailer but then I'm bound to ask two things: 1. Do you even know what a trailer is for and why filmmakers make them? 2. How do you ever expect to get any customers if you insult them before you even know who they are or what they are offering?

Sure the OP was a little cagey, which is entirely normal in the business world and even more so in the film industry. Frequently one has to sign a contract (NDA) before one knows anything about a project and it's not uncommon to have to sign that contract with a holding company or some other entity set up just for that project which therefore doesn't have any background, even if you could be bothered to look, which you couldn't. The chances of you being a professional filmmaker are slim enough as it is but you seem determined to make sure that you NEVER work in the film industry!

However ignorant and short-sighted I think it is, it's your right not to "make the effort" even though you don't have any evidence that the OP is not legit. However, you don't have the right to insult the OP and sabotage the potential opportunity for other indietalk members! If you don't believe the OP is legit, go and get some proof, then you can publicly rip 2Cents a new one and everyone here will thank you for it. In the meantime, please show some respect and consideration for other indietalk members!

I hope that 2Cents doesn't broadcast to his/her online community what a bunch of a$$holes indietalk's members are, in his/her place I might be angry enough and sorely tempted! I also hope that Knightly or some other mod can write an apologetic message to 2Cents and try to repair some of the damage to indietalk's reputation done by a few ignorant and selfish members.

G

I hope the moderators are issuing a warning to you for that post, I stated my opinion, if your such a big shot and know the correct way then why aren't you in the limelight?

My business skills result in not selling out like most people, I prefer self respect and don't jump to every Tom, dick and Harry.

Learn how to speak without swearing, also if your so clued up, then you would know that everyone encounters hostility so 2cents should be used to it if he's experienced.

Learn how to speak without swearing, also if your so clued up, then you would know that everyone encounters hostility so 2cents should be used to it if he's experienced.

Your reply proves my previous posts, that you have no idea about business in general or the film business specifically and now you're adding hypocrisy to the list! :bang:

Please stop, you're just making yourself look worse and not helping anyone else!

G

Christ, guys, let it rest.

I said it earlier and I'll say it again- Whatever your doubts were to begin with, 2cents gave the necessary information to Knightly (a mod and respected community member) and cleared that up. Even if you don't love the way he approached the forum, he's done everything he can to clear it up and it's apparent that it's not a scam.

If that's still not enough for you, so be it. Leave it at that. Walk away. You're not interested and that's fine. But there's no need to keep trying to hammer more nails into the coffin of a guy who's no longer involved in the debate.

Much heated discussion here... I pulled it down and removed the personal insults... much could still be considered libelous, but I don't disagree with heated discussion about these topics. I'll be splitting the "Discussion" off to a discussion thread and moving the initial post to its own thread in the promotions/classified area. Here are the guilty parties being warned to watch what they're saying. Disagreeing is fine, attacking, insulting is not:

- 8Salacious9
- Dreadylocks
- Knightly (yes, me)
- AudioPostExpert

Let's return to a civil discussion. Now I'm speaking as a moderator.

I would just like to formally protest being included on the list of offenders. I made no ad hominem attacks and fail to see how saying someone's analogy doesn't work is an insult or attack. Not only that but I put a winky face on the end of the post. A g.d. winky face forcryingoutloud. Everyone knows that if you put a smiley at the end of a sentence, it makes everything ok (again though, I still don't see what was so wrong with saying something was a bad analogy.)

I think if you look back, I was one of the people trying to help maintain a civil tone in this thread while others (who still remain un-censured, unlike myself) were calling OP a cheat, liar, troll, full of BS and a scammer. I'm all for equality being treating different things differently, but this just makes no sense to me.

Knightly, I want you to know that I've got no hard feelings against you personally. I'm sure you were just following orders and I get that.

But I needed to put this on the record. I truly don't agree that I did anything wrong. And I'm not sure I want to frequent a place where I have to walk on eggshells whenever I post.

:)

(see, the smiley face makes everything ok)

I sent a PM and got a reply. He sent a link to one of his websites. It all seems
legit to me. Now that I have seen one of his sites I cannot understand why
he did not want to post it. As he said, it is a movie community website. We
here are a movie community website. It is not a start up, it is not a new
website that hasn’t fully launched. It seems to me all this would have been
avoided had he posted it. It’s quite a vibrant community; much different than
ours in its specific interest but as interesting as ours is.

It’s too bad that two people here were so upset by his offer that they turned
it personal (even against other indietalk members) and have surely driven him
away. Caution is one thing - I am very cautious about these types of offers - but
I’m sorry that a couple of you took this so far without even learning more. It is,
unfortunately, a reflection on this movie community website and this entrepreneur
with an idea may have dismissed us because of it.

Back