Help in downloading footage from a Canon hf200

The computor: Hp touchscreen/windows vista/intel core two
This computor also has a card slot at the side for SD/SDHC/MS/PRO/XD/MMC
Now photos from an SD card download and file no problem.
However the SDHC card that I use for this camera (which I am aware uses an avchd format and has been known to cause grief in this department) does not.
When I plug the camera into the computor it makes that rumbling sound (maybe the wrong choice of word here) to indicate some action is happening, then nothing.
I have downloaded the software that came with this camera AND because I was having problems decided to purchase the Sony vegas program on a whim at a store in hopes that would help. Nothing.
Any and all help would be appriciated!

(Now meanwhile I also have a flip camera which gave me no problems in downloading the footage and editing it - so why this problem with a better camera????)

(It would really be a shame not to be able to download the footage on the Canon Hf200. The other day I took amazing shots of sunset. I also used the Flip which didn't capture the colors as well. Even if I could just make a short short short on sunsets and sunrises it would be awesome because that is what I have on this camera.)

Last edited:
Okay so this leads me to the next issue: Apparently I had a lot more footage than I thought on this card. There looks to be an endless list. Now in the meantime I had earlier accidently transfered this stuff (when I put the card into the slot) to windows media so this is the new issue:

How can I transfer them from windows media to someplace else? Each time I drag a mts file to sony the media opens up because I hit the icon. I don't want to go through this with every icon. I wouldn't care really but for the fact that there are so many clips.

Also, and this seems like a stupid question but how can I save what I moved over to sony vegas already so I don't lose them when I pull the card out.

Thanks.

Okay so this leads me to the next issue: Apparently I had a lot more footage than I thought on this card. There looks to be an endless list. Now in the meantime I had earlier accidently transfered this stuff (when I put the card into the slot) to windows media so this is the new issue:

How can I transfer them from windows media to someplace else? Each time I drag a mts file to sony the media opens up because I hit the icon. I don't want to go through this with every icon. I wouldn't care really but for the fact that there are so many clips.
I'm not entirely sure if i understand the question, do you mean how to import them all at once in vegas? If so here is the answer:
Select all the clips, either by holding down ctrl-A. Then drag them all at once. Not sure why it opens the media unless you are double-clicking. A single click will do to drag.
Also, just FYI so you don't let it confuse you. After importing any file into your project media, Sony vegas will always make a secondary file, with the extension .sfk and the same name as the file you imported. You don't ever need to worry about this file, just don't delete it.
Also, and this seems like a stupid question but how can I save what I moved over to sony vegas already so I don't lose them when I pull the card out.
Thanks.

As for getting them off the card so you can take it out, you can read my first reply to your question. Find the mts files in windows explorer. COPY them to whatever folder you want on your computer. Don't move them or rename them before copying. After that you can keep them on the computer to be edited without the SD card in.

Back