Help Assembling a Full Kit

I'm pursuing an MFA in Digital Cinema, and am required to buy my own equipment. I need help putting together a kit. Since this is a professional degree program, I'm going to assume that I need to buy professional level equipmentl. Financial aid will cover the cost of my equipment since it's required for the degree program, but I don't want to go crazy. I'd like to get a good balance between utility and price.

I need to get a digital camera, a video camera, audio equipment, lights, stands, mics, tripods, cases, accessories, and anything else usually needed that I'm too green to think about. FULL DISCLOSURE: Only the two cameras, the software, and a computer that could handle the software and crunching the video were specifically required, but all the other stuff is needed to complete assignments (and also will be used for my thesis film) AND since financial aid is available, I figured I may as well get it all out of the way now.

I also have to get editing software, and get a new computer but those are easier choices to make (Final Draft, Adobe CS6 Production Suite & a 27" i7 iMac). I do know that I want separate digital still and video cameras, though. For the digital camera, I'm thinking the Canon 5D Mark II and 2-3 lenses. Since the Mark III has come out, the prices for the Mark II should have come down, I hope.

I just don't know about the rest! All I guess I can say is that I don't want to spend more than $10,000 on everything (is that realistic?), and that I don't mind buying refurbished or gently used for everything BUT the cameras (I need FULL manufacturer and extended warranties for such expensive items).

So, what say you all who know much more than me? And, thanks in advance for your help! :)

Be careful of the 4-track claims with the H4n; when recording four tracks you can only record at 16bit/44.1kHz, and the logistics are very difficult - you will definitely have to add at least one mixer.

Units like the H4n and the Tascam DR-100 (which I prefer; at least it has manual controls and the pre-amps are marginally cleaner) are really aimed at musicians to be used as sketch pads. As much as you should really use a separate audio recorder you could do just as well sound-wise recording directly to the XF100 (if that is what you get) using a mixer.

If you use a DSLR you should consider it a film camera and use a separate audio recording system; the audio implementation is DSLRs is extremely substandard.

My recommendation, as always, is to retain someone who knows what they are doing. You can have the best gear in the world, but since you are directing who will be swinging the boom for you? Who will be gain-staging, setting levels and monitoring the audio while you are otherwise occupied? This is the problem with owning you own equipment, you still need someone with knowledge and experience to run sound for you.

Maybe this is the reason our required equipment doesn't include audio - they know we'll need to hire somebody to do it for us. Just out of curiosity, are there any separate audio recorders that are aimed at filmmakers and not musicians, or does it matter? I know you said you prefer the Tascam DR-100 over the H4n, but is there a portable audio recorder that you would especially recommend? (BTW, the DR-100 has been discontinued and replaced by the DR-100MKII)

At the basic semi-pro entry level are the Tascam HD-P2, Fostex FR-2LE, Marantz PMD-661 & PMD-671 and the Roland R-26; all record two channels and are in the $500 to $700 range. The Edirol/Roland R-44 ($1,100) records four channels and has decent manual controls. Oade Brothers has modded versions (improved pre-amps) of all these for not much more than the prices at B&H.

I've used the HD-P2, FR-2LE, PMD-661 and R-44; all are solid but each has its quirks, mostly navigation and layout. All of them would benefit from a really nice mixer in front for production sound.

There are, of course, the high end pieces from Sound Devices, Nagra and Zaxcom that start at about $2k and go up to about $14k. It's almost a necessity to use a mixer with these units.

What school is this?

National University. Regionally accredited, non-profit, private university founded in San Diego in 1971. The main campus is in San Diego, and it has branch campuses in a slew of cities - mainly where military bases are located, because they work a lot with the armed forces. Besides being "brick and mortar", they also have an extensive distance learning program. Tuition is VERY reasonable, for undergrad and grad programs, AND for certain veterans and/or civilian military employees a tuition discount is available that makes tuition even more reasonable than it already is.

National has had the MFA in Digital Cinema since about 2004. It's what's called a limited residency MFA, which means that although the majority of the classes are taught online, a trip (or trips, depending on the university and program) to campus is required. The residency for my MFA program is a month long and takes place in July of the second year at the Los Angeles campus. And, although the program is online, we have to attend a LIVE class online every week for 1.5 - 2 hours.

In case you're wondering why I chose National U. over a big name film school, it's because the entire MFA in Digital Cinema from NU is going to cost what just ONE year of tuition is going to cost at the "name" schools. I'm in my 40s and I don't want to take on crushing student loan debt at this late stage. The debt I'm going to have from this program will be manageable.

ETA: We're required to have:

MFA Digital Cinema Web page said:
Students in the online/hybrid program must have access to a digital still camera, a digital video camera with manual controls, a tripod, a basic lighting kit, and nonlinear editing software...

Last edited:
At the basic semi-pro entry level are the Tascam HD-P2, Fostex FR-2LE, Marantz PMD-661 & PMD-671 and the Roland R-26; all record two channels and are in the $500 to $700 range. The Edirol/Roland R-44 ($1,100) records four channels and has decent manual controls. Oade Brothers has modded versions (improved pre-amps) of all these for not much more than the prices at B&H.

I've used the HD-P2, FR-2LE, PMD-661 and R-44; all are solid but each has its quirks, mostly navigation and layout. All of them would benefit from a really nice mixer in front for production sound.

There are, of course, the high end pieces from Sound Devices, Nagra and Zaxcom that start at about $2k and go up to about $14k. It's almost a necessity to use a mixer with these units.

What do you think about audio mixing software? Can the audio that's recorded with a portable recorder be mixed well in the software after or during capture? I'm going to be getting Adobe CS 6 Production Premium that comes with Adobe Audition (student pricing, of course).

Your NLE and/or DAW won't care what recorder you used, only which format. 24bit/48kHz .BWAV is pretty much the current standard.

Once you have finished recording audio on the set you need to import it into your NLE and line it up with the visuals. You can partially automate the process with software like PluralEyes, but in the end you will have to manually line some things up. That's okay, they've been doing that since the inception of film sound, and it's a lot easier as you have the camera sound for a reference.

Once the visual edit is completed you export the audio as an OMF or AAF file for import into your DAW. (I believe it's simpler from CS to Audition - not really sure, though.) You do all of your audio editing in the DAW, mix, export the mix and lay it back to the visuals.

National University.
I've heard some good things about them. I'm glad to find out
they do not require you to purchase so much equipment. I
was about to call shenanigans on that.

Good luck with this school. I hope it works out for you. I
hope you keep us informed about your experience with them.

I've heard some good things about them. I'm glad to find out
they do not require you to purchase so much equipment. I
was about to call shenanigans on that.

Good luck with this school. I hope it works out for you. I
hope you keep us informed about your experience with them.

What part was shenanigans? Was I only supposed to buy "a digital still camera, a digital video camera with manual controls, a tripod, a basic lighting kit, and nonlinear editing software", and ignore all the necessary support equipment and accessories?

My sincere apologies for wanting to be more than mediocre. :rolleyes:

What part was shenanigans?
Sorry, my mistake. I wasn't clear.

What I meant was I was thinking that any program that requires
students to purchase equipment is terrible. I was about to call
shenanigans on a program like that. I'm glad to see National doesn't
require equipment purchase. That's a good thing.

No need to get defensive or sarcastic. I am not an enemy here. I
am just a fellow filmmaker.

Sorry, my mistake. I wasn't clear.

What I meant was I was thinking that any program that requires
students to purchase equipment is terrible. I was about to call
shenanigans on a program like that. I'm glad to see National doesn't
require equipment purchase. That's a good thing.

No need to get defensive or sarcastic. I am not an enemy here. I
am just a fellow filmmaker.

Oh, okay. I gotcha. In my case "have access to" means I have to go buy it. My fam and friends are not into technology much, let alone film and video. I literally have nobody I can borrow stuff from. Sorry for the sarcasm.

Back