• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Help about sound

I know this might sound stupid but... if I'm filming with a Cannon XLH1 HD obviously the microphone is built into the camera hence I just hook up a microphone and attach it to the camera. However can you use a niagara sound recorder with the Cannon and what would be the point?

I know this might sound stupid but... if I'm filming with a Cannon XLH1 HD obviously the microphone is built into the camera hence I just hook up a microphone and attach it to the camera.
Yes, you can use the mic that comes with the camera. I would, however, get a different microphone, and yes, most of them should fit in the mount.

However can you use a niagara sound recorder with the Cannon and what would be the point?
Niagara is a waterfall. Nagra is a company that makes audio field recording equipment, among other things. For many years the industry standard for production sound was the venerable Nagra reel-to-reel tape recorder; they still make it and it is still used to this day.

Using an audio recording kit separate from the camera has numerous benefits. You are not tethered to the camera. Much better sound quality than can be recorded on the camera. The sound is being overseen, listened to and recorded by a (hopefully) competent production sound mixer.

I would suggest that you go check out my blogs on production sound, they go through the basics. Then you can come back with any questions you may have.

I know this might sound stupid but... if I'm filming with a Cannon XLH1 HD obviously the microphone is built into the camera hence I just hook up a microphone and attach it to the camera. However can you use a niagara sound recorder with the Cannon and what would be the point?

Yes, you can use the mic that comes with the camera. I would, however, get a different microphone, and yes, most of them should fit in the mount.

Niagara is a waterfall. Nagra is a company that makes audio field recording equipment, among other things..

And if you shoot with a cannon, someones gonna get hurt ;)

Good luck!

well...for cost reasons alone...i would not think of using a nagra...besides trying to get your hands on tape...you are dealing with a 2track Timecode machine. I AM NOT putting down the Nagra...i still have 2 and to this day have not had a machine that sounds as good....oh how i miss analogue. i could bend the needle and the recording was still there...cant get headroom like that anymore. you will also have to have to have tape resolved and transfer to DVD or whatever media you are editing on...so not a cost effective chose for a small film today. and if you were thinking of a Nagra D or Digital...definitely out of your price range.

so i would look for a different machine to record to....but yes...having a recorder apart from the camera is always a better chose...and the use of a good mic on a boom is always better than an onboard camera mic. you need to get the mic close to the actors.

Back