Helloooooooo

Hey Guys-

I am a filmmaker from Brooklyn NY with a focus on post production. I work as a Flame artist doing VFX and color grading!

When adding smoke I do one of two things...

1. Use smoke that has been filmed/film some smoke on either a green or black background (typically black). Key it/blend it using a variety of additive modes.
2. Build smoke using Flame's particle system. I know this is also an option in Nuke. However, I do not have much experience with that- or After effects which may have options as well.

What have you got access to?

When adding smoke I do one of two things...

1. Use smoke that has been filmed/film some smoke on either a green or black background (typically black). Key it/blend it using a variety of additive modes.
2. Build smoke using Flame's particle system. I know this is also an option in Nuke. However, I do not have much experience with that- or After effects which may have options as well.

What have you got access to?

After Effects with no access to particle unfortunately.

Looked at your reel...that was some nice work

Last edited:
Thank you very much.

Without access to particles, your best bet may be something like the action essentials video elements. Or, getting the shot(s) to a compositor. How many have you got?

nice work. I get jealous every time I meet someone who actually makes a living from the business. I met someone the other day who makes a good living doing 3d modelling for a film company up here. Man I was so jealous.

:)

Thank you very much.

Without access to particles, your best bet may be something like the action essentials video elements. Or, getting the shot(s) to a compositor. How many have you got?

I have not shot the film that would need smoke yet. It is outside of my budget right now to do that film but I am always planning ahead, trying to develop skills now to be used later.

AE ships with a basic particle generator. It's not robust enough to do smoke, but it'll do good sparks. For anything beyond very very basic particles in AE, trapcode particular is a great investment.. and really at $89, it's kind of a steal for what it can do.

AE ships with a basic particle generator. It's not robust enough to do smoke, but it'll do good sparks. For anything beyond very very basic particles in AE, trapcode particular is a great investment.. and really at $89, it's kind of a steal for what it can do.

How is this possible. It says $399 on their website. How can it be $89?

I mean i just checked out the site. I'm seriously considering buying it right now.

Edit: I think it's the upgrade only :(

Last edited:
Trapcode is surely a bargain at under 100 bucks. My only point would be something shot will be better and less processor intensive.

Ultimately, the most powerful tool will always be the one you are comfortable and experienced using.

If you are a filmmaker the blackmagic pocket camera would be a better use of funds then a 7D. However, if you are trying to use your camera for more than just video, yeah- the 7D is more well rounded.

Without any budget for software, you can either beg friends with gear and experience or change the needs of your script. I fear you will be walking down a problematic path doing it alone.

Back