Hello

Just a quick introduction as I've just joined...

From Ireland, big interest in film over the past year, probably far too obsessive about the whole thing. I'm at the 'watching movies' stage and I'd like to expand on that a little. I'm contemplating purchasing some sort of camera to do some shorts on or just to mess about with, just to see if it's for me. My OH is buying a Canon 7d soon so maybe that wouldn't be a bad place to try out a few things? I'm not sure, like I said, I only watch movies at the moment and I'm completely new to all this :)

That's it for the moment!

I was in Ireland last summer and did not remember seeing heath on the map. Just looked it up on google maps lol, no wonder its not on the map! Its super uhm, whats the polite word compact? :yes:

Hello and welcome!

To try and answer your question, although im no expert, the Canon 7D is excellent for short films. Picture quality is immense. However, from what ive gathered, its no good at zooming, but that shouldnt be a problem if your shooting set pieces, or you can add shallow zooms in post i think. Also, because it films HD you will need a decent PC for editing and post-prod. Oh, there is also no microphone, so you will need to record sound seperately or add post-production, or even make a silent movie and add music in post.

For a great example of the 7D in action, check out "The Cabbie" on Vimeo.com. Welcome to the forums.

Hello and welcome!

To try and answer your question, although im no expert, the Canon 7D is excellent for short films. Picture quality is immense. However, from what ive gathered, its no good at zooming, but that shouldnt be a problem if your shooting set pieces, or you can add shallow zooms in post i think. Also, because it films HD you will need a decent PC for editing and post-prod. Oh, there is also no microphone, so you will need to record sound seperately or add post-production, or even make a silent movie and add music in post.

For a great example of the 7D in action, check out "The Cabbie" on Vimeo.com. Welcome to the forums.

Hey, thanks for that. 7D sounds good for me so, at least it's an inexpensive way for me to see if this is what I want to be doing! I'll check that video out soon...cheers.

Since I'm a total newbie to all this, what's the first thing I should be doing?

Welcome Grasshopper!

I'm one of the audio guys here.

Keep in mind that the search function is your friend. Everyone here is always very glad to help you out, but a lot of the "basics" questions have been asked and answered many times.

And always remember:

"Sound is half of the experience"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WCyJRXvPNRo&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WCyJRXvPNRo&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

"Old man, how is it that you hear these things?"

"Young man, how is it that you do not?"

Back