• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Hello, Sweet (Short Film)

Not so bad. I've seen worse first films than this, for sure. :)

Heck, even finishing a film is a great accomplishment, Oscar-worthy or not.

The subtitles at the end might need a bit of work. But yeah, cool first film that's got the story elements.

The cast is the family, eh? :cool:

Just trying to help...

1) Cut down the intro logo thing by a lot. 3 seconds max.
2) those blue opening credits look amateurish. Pick something a better color or font and add drop shadow or something.
3) The shot of the trees is cool but the movement seems jittery. I don't know if this my graphics card, youtube compression, a frame rate issue on your camera, or an exporting problem.
4) The shot with the girl and the teddy bear has not been white balanced at all.
5) The night shots are too dark to see their faces. If this was a creative choice than that's okay.
6) Some minor focusing issues. Just practice I guess.
7) invest in a rig. The tripod shots and the handheld looked so noticeably different.
8) Match the color between scenes so it is consistent.

As for story, acting, and all that subjective stuff I don't know I watched it with no sound. Like Steve said, it is definitely not bad for a first short and is great foundation to build on. Good luck!

I was unable to watch because it is blocked in my country (Canada).
MARSHALL - sorry to hear that. but thanks for the effort :)
The subtitles at the end might need a bit of work. But yeah, cool first film that's got the story elements.
STEVE-Yeah, I'm still learning how to edit really and I have yet to learn subtitling stuff. Thanks for your appreciation, cool! :D
The cast is the family, eh?
- except for Sweet, yes.

1) Cut down the intro logo thing by a lot. 3 seconds max.
2) those blue opening credits look amateurish. Pick something a better color or font and add drop shadow or something.
3) The shot of the trees is cool but the movement seems jittery. I don't know if this my graphics card, youtube compression, a frame rate issue on your camera, or an exporting problem.
4) The shot with the girl and the teddy bear has not been white balanced at all.
5) The night shots are too dark to see their faces. If this was a creative choice than that's okay.
6) Some minor focusing issues. Just practice I guess.
7) invest in a rig. The tripod shots and the handheld looked so noticeably different.
8) Match the color between scenes so it is consistent.
THAT1GUY - Thanks for your points! I did this film 2 months ago when I was still like 6 months old in film making and looking back I know that all you said are true :D I really had a problem with focusing that time since I was still learning and I was using 50mm (with no IS so jittery) at 1.8! LOL now, i realized i should have turn up the aperture a bit to say, 2.8 or 3.2 to have more room for focusing a moving subject. I am really struggling with WB in editing. That thing I still have to learn and also the color grading that should match all scenes.

Regarding the rig, I have now bought Glidecam HD4000 and I have been practicing. I also upgraded to 5DM2 and got 16-35mmf2.8L2USM lens.

Honestly, I started learning filmmaking in April 2012 with no prior background on DSLR photography or any sort of film (except for writing since I have been writing since highschool) and so I am struggling to learn camera techniques, production and the bloody world of editing at the same time :(

Two months after doing my first ever short, I think I will do better on my next project. I will incorporate all your tips, guys. I'm thankful.

Others have commented on the text overlays so I'll skip that...

I thought the audio could have been better. I have no idea why, but on reading the title I thought of Yann Tiersen and lots of light. This happened, but then it was cut of very jarringly. All of the music seemed haphazardly lumped together. The cuts in each scene were fine, but the transitioning between each of them was again jarring.

The part that started with the tree in shot which led to the swing section was good, but the mood would have been sustained better had the music been un-interupted. Also, the friends montage was well done.

I think just by focussing on smoothing out the joins, you could get something quite good.

but then it was cut of very jarringly. All of the music seemed haphazardly lumped together. The cuts in each scene were fine, but the transitioning between each of them was again jarring.
Hi Kinsler. First of all thanks for taking some time to watch my film, appreciate it :D. I agree with you that the music cuttings were not smooth (this was due to my being so amateurish when this film was shot). And yes, there's also an abrupt cut in some music.

The part that started with the tree in shot which led to the swing section was good, but the mood would have been sustained better had the music been un-interupted.
This is the first time I heard this suggestion. Wow, that didn't occur to me really. Thanks for this insight :)

Also, the friends montage was well done.
Thank you, thank you! I thought nobody would praise that part hahaha.

I think just by focussing on smoothing out the joins, you could get something quite good.

Yes! I practice more on my focusing. I was inspired by Andrew Wonder when I saw his docu Undercity. He practiced a lot on focusing before he did that docu. Thanks for reminding me.

Cheers!

Back