Hello! Newbie filmmaker here

Hello all.

My name's Abed and I'm a newbie filmmaker.

I was born in Cape Town, South Africa and I'm now living in Istanbul, Turkey where I work as a Senior Digital News Editor.

I'm a journalist by profession, but recently I've begun the transition into filmmaking.

I made my directorial debut with a short climate change documentary for the company I work for, titled Saving Earth: Turkey's Wildlife Corridor.

I'm happy to say that it was well-received at a number of awards and festivals that I took a chance by entering.

My new web-series titled Faces of Istanbul is also complete and can be viewed on my website or my IGTV.

After dipping my beak in this world, I'm now looking to hopefully switch careers by starting with producing my own short films. The script for my first is almost complete.

I found this forum by chance after searching for tips and tricks for indie filmmakers.

After browsing through some of the posts on the forum, It became clear to me that this site will serve as an invaluable source of information for me on my journey.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome!! I dont think you will switch careers with short films.

To make it as a professional you need to make money - and it would take an extremely unique short film to make money because nobody ive ever met has paid money to watch a short film.

To be a professional there are 7 types of content that I know of you can produce for profit...

Music Videos
Wedding Videos
Commercials
Documentaries
Feature Films
Television Pilot
Youtube Channel

Absent from this list... short films

Last edited:
Welcome!! I dont think you will switch careers with short films.

To make it as a professional you need to make money - and it would take an extremely unique short film to make money because nobody ive ever met has paid money to watch a short film.

To be a professional there are 7 types of content that I know of you can produce for profit...

Music Videos
Wedding Videos
Commercials
Documentaries
Feature Films
Television Pilot
Youtube Channel

Absent from this list... short films
Hi. Thanks for your message.

After reading many posts on this forum, it's clearly evident that there's no money for short filmmakers, unless, as you say, the film is extremely unique.

As I've mentioned, I intend to start with short films.

This is only to get the required experience I need before moving on to features.

Crazy plan, I know. But I will keep moving forward.

Don't worry, I won't quit my day job just yet :)

Thanks for your valuable insight.

Back