Hello from a zero-experience newbie.

Hello. I'm here because I've had a few ideas for short films, but I have no experience or professional teaching so I thought I'd seek out a community. I'm 20 and live in Glasgow, and I've started on the screenplay for my first short. I thought my first major problem would be finding actors, but it's turned out that a decent camera, editing software, and equipment (tripods, etc.) are going to have to be the first things I tackle. Can't have an entire film shot shaky-cam with a phone... ;) Hope I fit in here.

Welcome.jpg

I always recommend working in any capacity available on any project you can find to gain practical experience. Just as important are the networking possibilities.

And, of course, as one of the resident audio gurus I have to add:

Your project will only look as good as it sounds, because
"Sound is half of the experience"

If your film looks terrible but has great sound, people might just think it's your aesthetic.
If your film looks great and has bad sound, people will think you're an amateur.
Sound is the first indicator to the industry that you know what you're doing.

Last edited:
Hello there. Why not get a cheap tripod, gaffer tap your phone to it and voila, steady footage. Then shoot a short with it. :)

Hello there. Why not get a cheap tripod, gaffer tap your phone to it and voila, steady footage. Then shoot a short with it. :)

I agree wholeheartedly, except I don't think you even need a tripod. Decent equipment is not the issue. Knowledge, practice, and risk-taking are the issue. Learn about and practice writing, dialog, visual composition, and color. Start small, do one thing well, and move on. Make *something* every week. The #1 thing I see in aspiring filmmakers is that they have this grand plan that never gets done, because they're not willing to write and shoot a one-minute scene on their cell phone camera. The most important thing you can do is to get one thing done, using the resources that are available to you. Don't get derailed thinking you can't make a movie because you don't have the right kind of camera. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Have fun!

Dave

Look for local film groups. In Columbus, Ohio we have MOFA, the Mid Ohio Filmmakers Association. They do random competitions through out the year and so there are people always looking for help in groups. Also there are 48 hour film project competitions and what not. Basically look around for people needing people in local film groups. If you don't know anything about filmmaking, then join as a PA. It's superfun and you will learn a lot. Film stuff with your phone and after some time save up for a DSLR/Mirrorless camera and some cheap lenses and then build your gear from there. No matter how fast you're trying to learn, its a marathon and not a sprint.

Hi. Practice shooting anything you can on whatever you have (cellphone) and focus on how the project feels and sounds more than how it looks. Also, don't overlook the second hand market for gear. You can get a grip holder for your phone that will allow you to set it on a tripod. Again, focus on sound and feeling. Best of luck to you.

Back