Hello Everyone

Welcome to IndieTalk!
Hi mlesemann,

I'm really looking for great feedback. I hope this site can provide me with great tools and suggestions on improvement in screenwriting. How would you suggest getting exposure for my work in the best way possible?

Thanks,

Jason

How would you suggest getting exposure for my work in the best way possible?
There's really no one, simple answer to that. But here are a few thoughts:

1. Make sure your work is as good as can be. Whatever is the best way for you to learn - classes, books, YouTube videos, whatever - do it. Then do it more.
2. When you believe your work is really good, consider submitting to some high quality screenwriting competitions. Placing well in something like Nicholls will definitely get you noticed.
3. Consider submitting to competitions that are associated with film festivals. If your work is an official selection or award winner, go to the festival and network with other writers and - even more importantly - with filmmakers who might be interested in teaming up with a promising new writer (this is mostly for when we're at least somewhat back to normal and festival are again in person events).
4. Team up with an aspiring director, dp, actors, etc and produce your own work. Then get it out to the world as much as you can - which is not easy. Festivals, youtube, vimeo - whatever. Keep pushing and keep promoting.

There's really no one, simple answer to that. But here are a few thoughts:

1. Make sure your work is as good as can be. Whatever is the best way for you to learn - classes, books, YouTube videos, whatever - do it. Then do it more.
2. When you believe your work is really good, consider submitting to some high quality screenwriting competitions. Placing well in something like Nicholls will definitely get you noticed.
3. Consider submitting to competitions that are associated with film festivals. If your work is an official selection or award winner, go to the festival and network with other writers and - even more importantly - with filmmakers who might be interested in teaming up with a promising new writer (this is mostly for when we're at least somewhat back to normal and festival are again in person events).
4. Team up with an aspiring director, dp, actors, etc and produce your own work. Then get it out to the world as much as you can - which is not easy. Festivals, youtube, vimeo - whatever. Keep pushing and keep promoting.
Thank you so much. Well, i'd love some notes if that's possible. I think my work is getting decent but i'd love to know other's opinions. I'm working on a short right now and I have a first draft of a 90 page feature done. I can attach the short for a start if anyone would be interested.

Thanks,
Jason

i'd love some notes if that's possible.
1. I suggest that you post 5 pages of whatever you most want notes for.
2. Be sure that you help others on here - we're all busy and are far more inclined to give our time when we see someone helping others. That can be notes on their writing (even when you're not an "expert" your feedback can be valuable), watching other people's trailers and/or movies, providing feedback on story ideas - whatever.

Back