Hello, a question for a person who like to make screenplays (For Fun)

Hello.

I would like to get out of the way that I am a writer by heart and even have a Sci-Fi/Space Opera universe called the Gaiaverse.

Now, I'm inexperienced with screenplays, so I want to know if there is anything I should know and such.

Such as

-What is to be expected of me?

-How much control do I have over the work?

-Should I have any other skills?

Hello.

I would like to get out of the way that I am a writer by heart and even have a Sci-Fi/Space Opera universe called the Gaiaverse.

Now, I'm inexperienced with screenplays, so I want to know if there is anything I should know and such.

Such as

As the writer of the screenplay it is expected that you will write
out the entire story in the proper screenplay format.
As you write it you have total control over the work. If you sell
the screenplay to a producer you will have no control over the work.
As the writer of the screenplay you need only a creative mind and
the ability to write well.

Last edited:
If you are writing to direct/produce then you can do pretty much anything you want.

If you are writing to sell a screenplay what you're thinking of is called a "spec screenplay", you are writing on speculation that someone else might give you money for your rights to your screenplay, at which point it now becomes their screenplay to which they now have the rights.

When you write spec screenplay to sell you will now be competing with other screenplays for the same production dollars.

Every year about one-hundred-thousand NEW feature length spec screenplays hit the market, adding to an existing pool of about over half-million up for grabs.

There is a generally accepted "proper" spec screenplay format that your product should try to emulate as close as possible so that when a producer's reader pulls your 90 - 110 page screenplay off the stack of twenty to look over each day their job goes nice and easy.

If you disrespect the craft/reader they will, in kind, disrespect you and promptly move onto the next submission.

Learn proper spec screenplay format. Google it.

(Juss fer fun read this, it'll cue you into a few of the more egregious nube mistakes: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8...Tg0NjNjZTAz/view?usp=sharing&authkey=CN6U6aoB)

Download Celtx for FREE!!
http://download.cnet.com/Celtx/3000-13631_4-10850080.html
Learn how to use it.

If it's your coin directing and producing you have 100% control over the final film product.
If its someone else's coin paying for directing and producing then they have 100% control.

A screenplay is a blueprint for the construction of a film's story.

An architect has little control over what a builder does with a blueprint once it's been sold.

Same with a screenplay.

To write a screenplay?
Nope.

Knowledge of the genre and intended audience, write according to a sensible appropriate probable MPAA rating.

Having a vague understanding of budget would also help.

Understanding of a three act structure wouldn't hurt, either.

Honestly, you'll learn more from writing several ten/twelve page screenplays for peer review than you will blowing hundreds of hours on a single feature length script.

Remember: a screenplay is a commodity, like a single piece of gravel.
000555x_gravel_quarry.jpg

Good luck!

Hello.

Such as

should you have any other skills?

Not necessary.
but still wanna ask you this.
Have you written script for silent movies and animation( comedy)?

I don't wanna call it a necessary skill.
but, If you want to know how it looks while working ... It might totally look different.

Silent movie - looks very short on paper. lengthy in reel.
Actions you want to insert will be revised again and again more compared to talkie.
An actions that might change might easily change the flow of story.

Animation- It is world of imagination with each and every possible lovable scenes.

I am working on one of animation story's script right now.
It will be my first one.
May be I have to fill up the gap between SCREEN writing and SCRIPT writing alone.

Animation script writing might teach you the difference between the script writing and SCREEN writing.
And also will make you helplessly adopt both in one as necessary.

Wish me the best.

Back