• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

HDV1080 and Avid

I've searched around, I've done some looking, etc etc but I can't seem to figure out what the problem is....

I have some footage I've filmed with my Sony HDR-FX7 and when I import it into Avid Studio, the largest option I have to import as is 720p.

I've messed with some setting on the camera as far as out put, and found nothing particularity helpful... and there's no options on with Avid.

So, am I missing something, or is my camera not supported by Avid and its causing an issue?

Dont be insulted, but I think your camera is set to output 720p. I dont BELIEVE it does 1080p, only 1080i. Perhaps there is a setting that makes it progressive, which pushes it back down to 720p?

Sorry, if I'm way off.

Dont be insulted, but I think your camera is set to output 720p. I dont BELIEVE it does 1080p, only 1080i. Perhaps there is a setting that makes it progressive, which pushes it back down to 720p?

Sorry, if I'm way off.

As far as I can tell there's no Progressive out put option with the FX7...and from everything I've read up on it, and done with it before, it will output 1080i, To be doing de-interlacing later on, separately fromt he camera.

I don't know if avid is being the problem or if I messed up a setting somewhere...

Last edited:
Is Deinterlacing going to give me a redux in resolution as I keep hearing, or is this a myth?

I'll keep it interlaced, if I can just get the 1080 resolution out of it. I had success with PinnacleHD pulling it off it full 1080hd, so maybe I'll keep messing around with it...maybe Avid is doing some sort of deinterlacing and redux in reso along the way?

And thanks for Bouncing ideas with me!

Last edited:
Is Deinterlacing going to give me a redux in resolution as I keep hearing, or is this a myth?

I'll keep it interlaced, if I can just get the 1080 resolution out of it. I had success with PinnacleHD pulling it off it full 1080hd, so maybe I'll keep messing around with it...maybe Avid is doing some sort of deinterlacing and redux in reso along the way?

And thanks for Bouncing ideas with me!

I never noticed a visible loss in quality after the deinterlacing process. Besides, if you plan to post your stuff online, interlaced footage will have artifacts all over the place. Online video really needs to be progressive.

Deinterlacing is really no big deal. Even as recent as a couple of years ago it was part of the normal workflow for most folks.

I never noticed a visible loss in quality after the deinterlacing process. Besides, if you plan to post your stuff online, interlaced footage will have artifacts all over the place. Online video really needs to be progressive.

Deinterlacing is really no big deal. Even as recent as a couple of years ago it was part of the normal workflow for most folks.

I re-read over some stuff over de-interlacing (while trying to find out how to open up my capture options, etc) and discovered that No, De-interlacing will NOT effectively reduce the footage shot to 540p, as was suggested to me in something i read very quickly. Derp.

I also believe I've found the issue; When capturing with Avid Studio you're given several options for the media source. For some reason, mine's only giving me the option of 720p,. Now, how exactly do I correct the issue? I dunno. Still working on that one. Not sure if the issue lies with a setting on my camera, or I'm missing codecs or something...

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with Avid/Pinnacle anymore, but I did check out this link. So, it's only giving you an option of 720p when you select HDV in the drop box (their example shows DV in the drop box)?

If you're going to transcode anyway, you'll be capturing to that program and not Studio, so you're problem goes away.

So far I've discovered;
1) I'm one of three people using this program who speak English....
2) Avid all but denies the existence of "Avid Studio" and any inquiries into the problem are directed to Pinnacle Studio HD, which is different....

I'm not giving up on it though!

For informational sake, I figured out what was going wrong, and it turns out its Operator Error.

I was trying to make AVID do something it just can't do, and remembering things incorrectly. AVID lacks the Codecs to properly import AVCHD 1080i.

Now, the work around for this is to Capture the footage with a program that has the proper codecs, such as Sony Vegas (thankfully I have a friend with this program...) and then Import the .m2t files into AVID to be able to work with them. Wam Bam, thank you ma'am! Full 1440x1080 resolution from the HDR-FX7!

NOTE: If transferring to AVID the Sound and Footage tend to separate, and Sound doesn't always make it into AVID. Currently messing with Settings on that to keep it together, but it late, so no answer tonight.

Last edited:
Back